100% CPU usage for version 9.0.0.8

As usually, I installed the latest version over previous version and restarted the computer.

Now every time I'm starting Opus (double click on the desktop) the CPU usage goes to 100%. I don't know the reason since I didn't modify anything.

I'm going to make a clean install to see if something changes. :confused:

You means starting Opus or opening lister?

X.

ditto

Sorry, it's opening lister.

No errors here, but I did a clean install.

In the past I noticed some problems when installing new versions over previous versions.

The problems remains even after a clean install.

I presume you don't have strange avi files in the lister you are opening ?

(there are some known problems about some avi codecs and Opus causing 100% CPU)

Same issue here. After I install 9.0.0.8, CPU usage jumps to 100% as soon as dopus.exe is started (I don't even have to have a lister open) and remains at 100% until dopus.exe is exited. At the same time, the program remains fairly usable despite one of its threads being a CPU hog.

Interestingly, installing 9.0.0.7 back on top of 9.0.0.8 solves the problem, no clean reinstall is necessary.

[Edit: I can reproduce the problem as well now so everyone can ignore this post. Trevor has filed a bug report and a couple of other beta testers have also confirmed it so it should be easy to fix.]

Interesting that it happens even if you don't open a lister.

Can you run Process Monitor and see if Opus is doing anything during startup, during the period of high CPU usage?

(You may have to run Process Monitor after Opus starts since starting Opus while Process Monitor is open sometimes causes Process Monitor to shut down. As far as I know Opus isn't doing that on purpose (in fact on Vista it shouldn't be able to since ProcMon's windows are in an administrator process); I think it may be a bug in ProcMon when huge numbers of events come in at once as I've seen it happen in other situations where a lot is going on. Not sure though.)

(FWIW I don't see the problem with 9.0.0.8 here on my Vista 32-bit machine. I haven't tried the release version on XP yet but I know the betas worked fine on XP for everyone that tried them.)

(Also, how long did you all wait for the CPU usage to go away?)

My primary OS is Windows XP SP2, and I don't see this. I also installed 9.0.0.8 over 9.0.0.7.

Did you folks reboot your PC after you installed? You should.

In fact I recommend rebooting after both an uninstall of Opus and an install (i.e. if you are doing a clean install). I've seen one file that is usually locked (it escapes me right now which one), the new updates usually include a new version of this file.

I have done as you indicated, please see the attached Process Monitor log screenshot (the entire log is 15 MB in size). I launched Opus on my XP Professional SP2 machine at 18:20:30 and dopus.exe kept the CPU at 100% until 18:21:55, so for more than a minute.

Sorry, I gotta go now, will be back with more details if necessary.

[quote="nudel"]Interesting that it happens even if you don't open a lister.

Can you run Process Monitor and see if Opus is doing anything during startup, during the period of high CPU usage?

(You may have to run Process Monitor after Opus starts since starting Opus while Process Monitor is open sometimes causes Process Monitor to shut down. As far as I know Opus isn't doing that on purpose (in fact on Vista it shouldn't be able to since ProcMon's windows are in an administrator process); I think it may be a bug in ProcMon when huge numbers of events come in at once as I've seen it happen in other situations where a lot is going on. Not sure though.)

(FWIW I don't see the problem with 9.0.0.8 here on my Vista 32-bit machine. I haven't tried the release version on XP yet but I know the betas worked fine on XP for everyone that tried them.)

(Also, how long did you all wait for the CPU usage to go away?)[/quote]

I can reproduce the problem as well now.

30-60 seconds after starting Opus the CPU usage goes back to normal so it isn't endless, you just have to wait a little while. It does seem like something is wrong, though, since there's no reason for Opus to do a calculation that would take that long during startup.

If you keep Opus running in the background then it's not a big deal but if you have Opus set to exit when its windows are closed then I'd either change config or go back to 9.0.0.7 until the issue is fixed. It's easy to reproduce so I expect a fix won't take long.

I've been able to reproduce this too, it does only last for 30 seconds or so from what I can see, so you can keep using Opus. We'll try to put a fix out for it today.

Thank you for the quick fix, Jon. Fantastic support indeed.
I'm so glad to be associated at least a little with a team like this :slight_smile:

it's perfect now... many thanks

I didn't see any fix. Did I miss something?

I have the problem with 9.0.0.9 on a XP SP2 maschine.
If I open the search lister the CPU usage for Opus rise to 100%.

[quote="Dielmann"]I didn't see any fix. Did I miss something?

I have the problem with 9.0.0.9 on a XP SP2 maschine.
If I open the search lister the CPU usage for Opus rise to 100%.[/quote]
The problem this thread was about has been fixed and only happened when Opus was starting up.

If you see high CPU usage when you open a particular window then it's likely to be one of the issues covered in this FAQ:

Crash, exit or high CPU usage when viewing certain directories