12.3.5 beta: High CPU use related to PDF files

Hi there !

Just installed Directory Opus 12.3.5 (beta), and my CPU just climbed to 25-30% ... rebooting and tmp cleaning didn't changed anything.
Inspected Dopus.exe trough Process hacker and found the culprit, a thread using a lot cpu:

dopuslib.dll!DummyDllFunctionToAvoidSymbolConfusion<

Terminating the thread brings everything to normal ...

Vitor

First thing to do is see: Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories

That guide has the most likely solutions to the kind of problem you're seeing. (It's unlikely to be the same was what is in the first post in this thread. I've split this to a separate thread.)

That just tells us it's a thread in dopus.exe so far. The displayed function name is the start address, not the code that is using all the CPU, which could be in another DLL.

You need to use Process Explorer (not Process Hacker), then select the thread, then click the Stack button.

Thank you Leo,

I've tried stacking the thread as you said, here's the result, does this means anything to you?:

dopus.exe!DummyExeFunction1ToAvoidSymbolConfusion+0x350349
dopus.exe!DummyExeFunction1ToAvoidSymbolConfusion+0x3515b9
dopus.exe+0x84fb97
dopus.exe+0x850e03
dopus.exe+0x82d4a5
dopus.exe+0x82bfba
dopus.exe+0x5c1836
dopus.exe+0x82e9fc
dopuslib.dll!IsWow64+0x31
dopuslib.dll!DummyDllFunctionToAvoidSymbolConfusion+0x9d101
KERNEL32.DLL!BaseThreadInitThunk+0x14
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x21

Vitor

Thanks! It's a useful part of the picture. If you open & close the Stack window a few times for the thread with high CPU, does it always look like that? It only takes a snapshot so it can sometimes miss things. In this case the stack looks quite short, which is unusual (but entirely possible).

Please try the steps in the guide I linked as they're the most important thing. If you can narrow the problem down to a particular file in a folder, it becomes a lot easier to work out the cause, and to reproduce it if it's something Opus is doing rather than a shell extension or similar.

Yes, refreshing the stack on that thread changes some of the lines, but they stay around 10-12 lines:

Vitor

I've tried disabling ALL plugins, with no success ...
With ShellExView, I've disabled ALL non-Microsoft extensions, with no success ...

Vitor

Many thanks. Looks like it's internal to Opus. That rules a lot of things out.

Don't worry about shell extensions or plugins, at least for now; they're unlikely to be the cause. Antivirus is probably not involved either, from those stack dumps.

Another thing that's quick & easy and may help pinpoint what's happening:

While it's happening, please go to Task Manager, then the Details tab, right-click dopus.exe and select Create Dump File.

Do that 4 or 5 times, and it should create something like:

• C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\dopus.DMP
  • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\dopus (2).DMP
  • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\dopus (3).DMP
  • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\dopus (4).DMP
  • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\dopus (5).DMP

Please zip those up and email them to crashdumps@gpsoft.com.au

If you want to try narrowing it down to a particular file or folder that may be causing it, we can then try with the same file to see if it happens here as well. But it might be worth waiting until we've looked at the dumps, if you can send those. They may be enough for us to see what's happening, or to better suggest what to try (e.g. we may be able to tell it's an image file triggering the problem, so you could ignore document files).

Hi Leo. I have the same (or similar) issue with the latest beta, however mine can be reproduced on demand. After syncing with a large network folder, and closing dopus, the dopus.exe process changes from an "App" to a "Background Process" in task manager, as expected, but CPU remains around 35% and memory sits around 120MB.

If I end the task and restart Dopus, everything runs normally until I resync again.

Hope this information is helpful to you. I do have some dump files but they are arounf 350MB each.

Please zip them and send them. They usually compress well.

Please also look at the FAQs on high CPU use, as it is usually caused by shell extensions (unless you've used Process Explorer's stack view to see that isn't the case).

Hi Leo, I have zipped them up and sent you the file links as they were still +100MB each in size.

1 Like

Hi,

I've put mines in Mediafire and sent you the link trough email.

1 Like

Thank you both for the dump files.

It looks like this change in 12.3.5 is causing the problem for both of you:

• Fixed incompatibilities reading some PDF metadata.

Would you be able to locate/isolate one or some of the PDF files which are triggering the problem?

If we could have a copy of them, it should make the problem happen on our own machines and then it's easy for us to see exactly what is happening and fix it.

1 Like

OK, will see if I can narrow the files down, as there are over 11,000 pdf files stored in this location. Will try by each directory to see if I can find some.

1 Like

Hi Leo. Sent you a pdf that drives my opus to a high CPU. Managed to narrow it down fairly quickly.

1 Like

Thanks for the PDF. That makes it happen here as well. Should be easy for us to fix now.

Here's the 12.3.4-beta installer if you need to drop back a version until 12.3.6-beta, and don't want to go all the way back to 12.3.0-stable:

:opusicon: DOpusInstall - 12.3.4.exe (52MB)

1 Like

Great, thanks Leo.

Can confirm this issue has now been fixed for me in 12.3.6 beta. Thanks Leo and the rest of the team.

Same here, last beta solved the problem.
Thank you all for the excellent support.

Vitor