2 questions re renaming & Metadata pane

Hi,

I have 2 questions....

1- is there a way to bring up the meta pane without clicking on the metadata tab on the style bar? I checked in the view menu and i only see an option for viewer pane, but not the meta pane. There are times when i want to bring up the pane in the view i am currently in without losing all my locations and what not by clicking on the metadata tab bar on top and then going back to my original style.

2- Every so often i copy the photos from my iPhone to my computer into one directory. I then have to manually rename them into folders based on date. While i can set up a script to place them in a folder with the date on it, and rename the files, what happens is i get:

2016.01.02\image_001
2016.01.02\image_002
2016.01.04\image_003 etc

What i want is that when the folder changes, that the counter resets back to 001 so the result would look like:

2016.01.02\image_001
2016.01.02\image_002
2016.01.04\image_001 etc

Thanks,

I figured out #1, just need to figure how to get the metadata pane to show up on the right instead of the bottom now.

figured out #1 completely.... just need help with #2

thanks

You will need a script to do this. It will have to reset the index on a per-directory basis.

If you are interested in using the Dynamic Renamer, I'll add the feature. It already has the feature to add numbers, just not reset the number per-directory.

You could also try Leo's sub-folder rename numbering script.

It was made to handle numbering in sub-folders from flat-view.

[quote="ktbcrash"]You could also try Leo's sub-folder rename numbering script.

It was made to handle numbering in sub-folders from flat-view.[/quote]

Hmm not sure this is what i am looking for. The source photos will be in one folder and what i want to do is place them in folders with the date. Something i can do now. I can do everything now with the batch renaming function of DO, the only thing DO wont do without a script (no idea how to do) is to reset the numbers for the series within the newly created folder

[quote="MrC"]You will need a script to do this. It will have to reset the index on a per-directory basis.

If you are interested in using the Dynamic Renamer, I'll add the feature. It already has the feature to add numbers, just not reset the number per-directory.[/quote]

It could be interesting. I could use this. However, is there a way to use a built in DO script so i would not have to install the perl addon on every computer i use DO with.

Use a customized version of the script mentioned by ktbcrash above.

I personally don't care for creating single-use, limited scripts for things like this. It goes against the concept of generality. It should be easy to adjust the script's behavior when it runs, not via editing the script.

I've updated the Number Within Sub-Folders rename script to allow you to move files around as part of the same rename.

It should do everything you need now.

@FatherTime: Please link your account if you need further assistance. And please stick to one question per thread unless the questions are closely related.