Accessing network folders slow

After upgrading to 11.8 x64, am suffering delays when accessing folders on the network. The delay is 6 - 8 seconds, during which I get a "Reading folder..." status window.

After the folder loads, browsing additional folders is delay free for about 30 seconds. Any navigation after that incurs another delay, followed by a 30 second delay free period.

Any ideas?

Do you get the same delay on the same drive in other programs?

If it started happening after upgrading to 11.8, which version were you on before? (The way folders are read has not changed in quite a while.)

The delay is specific to DO, other programs don't have the delay.

I"m a regular upgrader, so previous version used was whatever preceded 11.8.

Any chance some setting inadvertently got changed during upgrade? Or maybe it is coincidental that the delay coincides with the update.

There is one change between 11.7 and 11.8 which could be related:

Looking at the code, the change should result in just one extra request to the network share each time a folder is read, but perhaps the server is taking a long time to service that request for some reason.

Do you know what type of server it is? (e.g. Windows Server 2003, Linux, NAS device, etc.)

Is either Win 2008R2 or 2012.

We're adding something to the next beta which will let you test whether this change is what's causing the problem. It should be ready to try in the next few days.

Cool, will give it a shot.
Thanks

The 11.8.2 beta is now ready, if you'd like to give it a try.

You'll need to set a registry entry to test things (see the last line of the release notes). Please set that as described, and let us know if you still see the slow folder reading. If it seems to have fixed things, please delete the registry setting just to confirm that things return to being slow again, in case it was just a coincidence. (Of course, you can then set it again to keep things fast, and based on your feedback we'll implement a more permanent fix.)

The path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GPSoftware\Directory Opus is not present in the registry. Do I need to create it?

I searched the entire registry and did not find the key NetworkABE. There is a path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\GPSoftware\Directory Opus.

You can use this to create the key in the registry, remove the *.txt extension, doubleclick the *.reg file and confirm the popup.

NetworkABE.reg.txt (252 Bytes)

Tried it, no change. I did confirm the registry entry is present and has correct value.

Is the timing indicative? Once communication is established I can browse to different folders without delay for about 30 seconds, then the delay returns for one cycle.

[s]In that case it's probably not anything that has changed on the Opus side.

If you want to test your theory that it started with 11.8, the 11.7 installer is here: leo.dopus.com/temp/DOpusInstall_11_7_x64.exe

If the problem still happens with 11.7 then it's coincidence that Opus was updated. I would look at changes to the network, server, or antivirus which might be causing delays.

If the problem goes away with 11.7, could you post a screenshot of the registry key in regedit so we can confirm it was set correctly?

(Also, it's important to reboot after installing 11.8.2 or 11.7 (or any other version). If you skipped the reboot part, then nothing has been tested. Mentioning that just in case.)[/s]

Ignore all of that, see next post.

Apologies, there was a mistake in the release notes. The registry value has to be set to 0 (zero) to disable ABE and do the test, not 1 (one) as originally stated.

Please try setting it to zero and let us know if 11.8.2 still has the slowdown for you.

Perfect! No more delay.

Thanks guys.

just to say that I had been really frustrated by similar slow network directory loading issues and this solution (used the 11.8.3 beta and the registry modification to set NetworkABE to 0) has made a real improvement. please keep it in and functional.

Glad it has improved for you as well!

You should not need the registry setting with newer betas as the operation which was slowing things down has been moved to a sepatate thread.

For me this change also improved network location browsing. Thank you!
At first I did not think of DO being the cause, because it's always been the network at work being faulty itself.

Do we need to care about the registry item added, or is it better removed?

Testing how things work with the registry value deleted would be good, as it should no longer be needed unless the delay was due to a secondary issue, which it would be good to know about if it exists.

Ok thanks, will do so and report.

For the lazy folks: a quick commandline to remove the NetworkABE value from the registry:

reg.exe delete "HKCU\Software\GPSoftware\Directory Opus" /v NetworkABE /f