Applying a filter to a lister?

First i'll give a scenario, im mainly dealing with videos at the moment.

I have a content type in folder formats for "Movies" which works fine and displays my movies as thumbnails as I want.

Now say my folder structure is like this (for example purposes)

z:\movies\day 1
z:\movies\day 2
z:\movies\day 3
z:\movies\day 4
z:\movies\day 5
z:\movies\day 6
z:\movies\day 7
z:\movies\day 8
z:\movies\day 9
z:\movies\day 10

in each "day" there will be x amount of videos and y amount of other files, for example sony vegas makes temp files when working with a video - I want to be able to see ALL of these files when I am in the "day" folder, so specifying a filter in the "Movies" content type of folder formats would not work here.

However, say I go back to z:\movies and then view in flat mode, I dont really want all the non video files displayed, I just want to see the thumbnails of all my videos.

I know I could use the quick filter, but was hoping for a better way. Say for arguments sake you have all different types of formats ; wmv, mp4, mpeg, avi, asf, mkv etc.. etc.., it mean you have to click on each and everyone you want to display - not the end of the world, no, but I was hoping for a better way.

I was hoping I could go to Preferences > File Operations > Filters, add a new filter called "All movie types" for example, and then have a button on a toolbar that I could click to enable this filter. ie I just press one button on my toolbar to apply the filter, and then I press it again to un-apply the filter.

Is there a way of doing something like this ?

You can set different folders to use different filters via Folder Options / Folder Formats (the Folder Formats FAQ and the detailed guide it links to are good starting points).

So you could set z:\movies to use a folder format with one filter, and z:\movies\day* to use another format with a different filter.

You can create a "wildcard folder format" which literally uses z:\movies\day* as its path, so that you only have to define one format for all the day folders, rather than the tedious job of setting up each folder individually. (That also means when you add a "day 11" folder, it'll automatically pick up the right format.)

When you're in z:\movies and turn on flat view, it'll only be the z:\movies filter which is applied to everything, which should be as you need it to be.

WOW, you always have a way of making it sound so simple and "why didnt I think of that?!" lol

Thank you.