Auto-size columns not working

I have the "Auto-size columns" option set in Folder Options > Folder Settings > Display, but it does not resize the Name column. If I click on a different folder with different length names, it does not resize. If I set the column width manually, then close and reopen DOpus, it does not size to Name column.

I have also set the "Ignore folder format of Default Lister", and also tried clearing it. Neither one auto-sizes the column.

I can't find any info that says this is a bug.

Any idea on what my problem is?

DOpus 9.1.3.0.

See FAQ: HOW TO: Understand and Configure Folder Formats on how to use folder options.

I already did that before posting. I followed the instructions. But it still does not auto-size columns. That is why I posted a msg. about it.

• Do you have Folder Content Type detection enabled or disabled?
  • Did you save the Folder Options (auto size columns) For All Folders ?
  • Did you update the Default Lister?
  • Does DOpus open a saved Layout when you start DOpus or when you open a new Lister?
  • Do you change Style tabs?

See inline comments.

• Do you have Folder Content Type detection enabled or disabled?
    Yes, I tried both, but is currently disabled.

• Did you save the Folder Options (auto size columns)?
    Yes, set Auto-size option, then saved For All Folders.

• Did you update the Default Lister?
    Yes, I made sure Custom has Auto-size option set in Display tab.
    I also disabled all other lister formats for now.

• Does DOpus open saved Layout when you start DOpus or when you open a new Lister?
    No.

• Do you change Style tabs?
    No.

Thanks for your help. I don't know what else could prevent it from auto-sizing. It seemed to work before I updated to latest version.

When you're in a folder which doesn't auto-size, if you open Tools -> Folder Options is the auto-size setting actually on?

Also, the auto-size setting does not affect system folders (e.g. My Computer).

o Yes, it is still set to auto-size.
o I am not looking at system folders, just data folders.

[quote="leo"]When you're in a folder which doesn't auto-size, if you open Tools -> Folder Options is the auto-size setting actually on?

Also, the auto-size setting does not affect system folders (e.g. My Computer).[/quote]

Hmm... Are any of the columns set to use a bold font? That used to cause problems with auto-sizing (though I think it's fixed now).

Just to be sure: Did you save the Default lister by using Settings -> Set as Default Lister (sometimes people create their own 'default' listers)

No, not using Bold.

OK, I just used Set as Default Lister, but still doesn't auto-size.

I'm baffled too.

Just to be sure: Did you save the Default lister by using Settings -> Set as Default Lister (sometimes people create their own 'default' listers)[/quote]

Can you show us a screenshot of the columns being the wrong size? Maybe something will stand out as the cause.

Sure. See attached.

Top part shows the Name column not auto-sized when going to a directory.
Bottom part shows the Name column manually resized.

I also tried clearing the auto-size option, saving current folder for All Folders, shutting down DOpus from Task Manager, then restarting, then setting the auto-size option again. Still doesn't auto-size.

You are using the Lister Style Dual

You could try this and see if it works:

Settings > Preferences > Listers > Styles

Select Dual (and/or other styles you are using) > Left File Display > Format > Edit > Display > View > Auto-size columns

AND:

Select Dual (and/or other styles you are using) > Right File Display > Format > Edit > Display > View > Auto-size columns

I have already done that for all lister styles: Single, Dual, etc.

I've pretty much exhausted all options before posting.

So I assume that auto-size works for others, but just not for me? Must be something somewhere, but I can't figure it out.

What do you think about uninstalling/re-installing DOpus? Would that help?

[quote="Christiaan"]You are using the Lister Style Dual

You could try this and see if it works:

Settings > Preferences > Listers > Styles

Select Dual (and/or other styles you are using) > Left File Display > Format > Edit > Display > View > Auto-size columns

AND:

Select Dual (and/or other styles you are using) > Right File Display > Format > Edit > Display > View > Auto-size columns[/quote]

One other thing: did you accidentally change the settings for auto-size columns in:

Settings > Preferences > Folders > Folder Formats > Content type formats and/or Default formats

Do you have the Format Lock turned on? When that is turned on the column widths become fixed.

By default there's a format lock icon on the status bar but it looks like it's removed in your setup. You can add it back to the status bar, or create a toolbar button which does the same thing, to see if the lock is on.

(To make the toolbar button, enter Customize mode and, on the Commands tab, type "Format" into the filter. You'll then see a pre-made "Format Lock" button in the list which you can drag to your toolbar.)

If the format lock was on, turn it off and then update your Default Lister and any Layouts that you use.

For Styles, you can see if the format lock is on when you edit them in Preferences.

No, all Content Type Formats are cleared except Custom, which has the Auto-size option set. I can't clear that option. It is greyed out, but I can edit it.

I also cleared all Default Formats to make sure nothing else was causing the problem.

[quote="Christiaan"]One other thing: did you accidentally change the settings for auto-size columns in:

Settings > Preferences > Folders > Folder Formats > Content type formats and/or Default formats [/quote]

See my post at the top of this page if you missed it. (I know I sometimes miss the first post of a new page myself.)

BINGO! That was it, Leo! I'll be danged.

It was on for 3 of the 4 listers. After I disabled Format Lock, I saved the formats For All Folders, and it is finally auto-sizing!

Thanks much, Leo. For some reason, I did miss your first post. I will be more vigilant about that in the future.

':D'

[quote="leo"]See my post at the top of this page if you missed it. (I know I sometimes miss the first post of a new page myself.)[/quote] :smiley:

Well, damn. Now it's not working again.

I started doing some experimenting. I restored a previously saved config file from the end of last year to see what it would do. It auto-sizes correctly.

I then switched from Dual to Single lister, and promptly lost auto-sizing. Nothing I did could restore it. So I had to restore again. Then it auto-sizes correctly again, as long as I do not change listers.

That seems very odd. So I started checking the settings under Settings > Preferences > Listers > Styles, and discovered that the Format Lock was off only for the Single view. So I turned them off for the other 3 views (Dual, Single Image, and Dual Image).

That seemed to work at first, but then promptly lost the auto-size ability as soon as I switched to another view.

I then checked the Tools > Folder Options > Display settings. The Auto-size option is OFF. I enabled it, then closed DOpus and restarted again to see what would happen.

I then use Tools > Folder Options > Save > Save for all folders > Replace All.

But still can't get it to auto-size.

So I check the Display options again, and I discover that the Auto-size option is OFF again. How does it keep resetting itself?

So I have to keep restoring an old configuration to get auto-size working again.

I also noticed that when Auto-size is set, there are still numbers shown in the Width column in Tools > Folder Options > Column tab. Shouldn't that say "Auto" or something? Could it be a conflict between the Auto-size option and the width shown in the Column tab?

I am getting more baffled by the minute. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dick

[quote="dick.girard"]BINGO! That was it, Leo! I'll be danged.

It was on for 3 of the 4 listers. After I disabled Format Lock, I saved the formats For All Folders, and it is finally auto-sizing!

Thanks much, Leo. For some reason, I did miss your first post. I will be more vigilant about that in the future.

':D'