Automatic field selection

I may be missing something obvious here. Is it possible to set up an automatic display of a field/column in details mode based on a particular file type e.g. clicking on a text file might show the pages field, clicking on a music file might show duration etc etc? This would be without setting up particular folder options. Trust that makes sense. Jack

If you want it for individual files/types, adding the details you want to the file type's Info Tip may be the most suitable thing.

Alternatively, Content Type formats can be used to automatically add columns to folders when the folders contain a large number of certain types of files.

Scripting could also be used to add/remove columns automatically based on more complex criteria, but not (currently) in reaction to changes in which files are selected. (At least without pushing a button or hotkey to make the script reevaluate things. Scripts can run via buttons and hotkeys, or when you change folders, and various other events, but selection changes don't currently trigger a scripting event.)

Thanks - I'll have another look at the content type formats. It wasn't working for me on first use as I couldn't find where to select the columns for the content types.

Ok I've worked through the File Type and Folder Behaviour set-ups, enabled the detection, but still nothing. I assume you should be able to open a folder and if it meets the detection requirements, the fields in details view change automatically.

Any gotchas I might be missing? TIA Jack

Have you turned on content type detection?

What have you done exactly? It's hard to guess where the problem might be without knowing what's been done and what you're expecting to happen.

What I want:
I have a large digital music collection on an external HD arranged in folders. I assume from reading the user guide that if you navigate to one of these folders, you can have the details view automatically change to display various user chosen fields.
What I've done:

• Set up a new File Type Group called Digital Music. Listed the various file extensions.
  • Enabled Folder Content Type detection in Preferences
  • Under Folder Formats, edited the Digital Music format to select the columns I want to display. Under Display selected View as Details. Under Options selected Content threshold of 20%.
    What happens: Nothing really. If I navigate to a folder containing music files, the columns in details view remain unchanged i.e. as originally chosen.
    Anything I'm missing? Thanks for your time. Jack

Check that the format lock (padlock icon in the status bar) isn't turned on.

Padlock is open for all drives and folders.

There is already a Music group by default, with most of the music file extensions added out of the box. It probably makes sense to use that, and add any extensions that are missing, rather than create a second overlapping group, which may complicate things.

Hover the mouse pointer over the format lock icon on the status bar. A message will appear telling you where the current format comes from. What does it say?

#6 in Folder Formats: Detailed Guide shows an example. The guide is also worth reading if you want to understand how Opus chooses which format to use when you change folders.

Thanks Leo

I deleted my file type group and used the default music group. No change.

Hovering over the format lock on the status bar of the music directory gives "Current folder format comes from: Format for path "M: Music ..."

I went through the various directories last night and manually set up the fields I want. I think I'll stop trying to get the automation to work. I suspect the problem may lie somewhere in the customizations I've made to the default toolbars and listers. I don't want to go back to a default setup and keep troubleshooting. Let sleeping dogs lie.

If you have a format saved specifically for that path, then the Content Type format won't be used. (Except, possibly, to add some additional columns, if the path format is set to include columns from other matching formats.)

Path formats are more specific than Content Type formats, so they will "win" if formats of both types potentially apply to the same folder. After all, if that was not the case then you would not be able to override the automatic Content Type formats in particular folders where you wanted something different to happen.

Delete the path format and the Content Type format should then be used (unless another format also matches the path, or similar).

Thanks Leo
A bit fiddly - but I've got it working now.
My problem was that I had some old saved formatting at the root directory levels.
Cheers