Automatic updating of folder sizes?

I use a two window panes lister. Say I open a folder in one of the panes and move a file from inside it to a directory in a different tab on the other pane. I then move one level up in the source pane (press backspace) from the folder that contained the file that was moved, to its parent folder. The parent folder continues to show the original folder size as if I didn't move any files from it. Is there a way to automatically update folder sizes when files are moved or deleted from them?

Yes, see the FAQ: Calculate Folder Sizes Automatically

Thank you for the redirection to the FAQ topic. As always, it's impressive how much flexibility is provided by Directory Opus. I'll try and set the settings the way that I need them.

Sorry for reopening this thread, but I would like to ask how do I force rereading a directory under the following circumstances?

I open a subdirectory and rename+move a file to another directory in another tab by pressing Shift-Ctrl-2 (using a dual pane lister). I then press the Backspace key to go to the subdirectory's parent. The subdirectory folder size is not updated to display the fact that a file is no longer inside it and it continues to show the original subdirectory size.

Please note that I have set the Preferences Folder display to calculate folder sizes automatically.

It might be something else, but try editing the Backspace hotkey (Settings -> Customize Toolbars -> Keys) to run just go up instead of go up back

Thank you leo! This change works. Now pressing the Backspace key does indeed show the updated folder size.

At the risk of becoming too burdensome, I would like to ask the following question. If I move a file from one folder tab to a directory in a tab in the other pane (dual pane tasklist), how do I get the destination directory to be updated with the file transferred to it? For the sake of clarification, my original question concerned updating the source directory after moving a file from it, and now I'm asking about the destination directory. My current settings do not cause an instant update of the destination directory as described. The folder size is updated only once I click on another tab and then back on the tab which contains the file moved to it.

I don't think you can. You'll need to push Ctrl-L or F5 to trigger a refresh.

Thank you for this information.