Batch File Copying

Hi, I am finding when I try copying a large amount of file between 2 drives using Opus 11.15 x64, using windows 10 x64 that not all folders and files copy from one pane to the other location in the second pane, i thought it might be something else on my PC & Laptop but it happens on both. So i tried doing the same with windows explorer by opening up 2 windows and copying from one pane to the other and all is good and everything copies. So was wondering if anyone else has had this problem ?

regards scouser

What are some example files that aren't copied?

Is there anything special about them or connecting them to each other, e.g. Hidden or System files?

Are they definitely not being copied, or could they be copied but filtered out of the view in Opus due to configuration?

Could the Copy Filter have been turned on? (Check in the Copy Files button's menu to make sure Copy Filter is not highlighted.)

I am having this same issue, and I am wondering if Windows 10 Pro x64 is screwed up, or if it is Opus 11.16? The Computer is home built, i.e. Gigabyte with an i7 -5930K, 6 core/12 thread, 32GB DDR4, etc. I have been building computers for about 30 years; just saying....and have been using Opus since I was a little boy. ANYWAY,........ I have replaced a whole slew of older drives (1.5-2TB) with newer larger drives (5TB), and I am finding that Opus WILL NOT copy all the files from one older drive to the newer drive.

I have tried doing this copy/cut/move scenario, and it seems that the copy/cut/move protocol somehow just stops functioning.

Time and time again, the action fails, whether it is cut or copy.

Scenario 1: In one case, I am trying to cut ~2GB of drivers I downloaded for a laptop, from an SSD in a portable USB3 case, and every time I try, it starts copying the first folder and a few files, then the copy window disappears. I guess that it is done, so I check. But only a few files were cut and moved. So I try again, this time with copy; same thing happens.... Only a few files are actually copied or moved, then the window shuts down.

I checked the files, and they are all intact, integrity is good, they open fine and try to install just fine, as a normal driver install file. Nothing is hidden, nor read only. I changed them all to standard files (not hidden nor read only).

Scenario 2: I have a Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD, in a special portable USB3 case made for SSD's. I backed up my server (~465GB), plugging the drive into a USB3 port on the server. Now I want to use this drive for a laptop (who's 240GB SSD is full and needs a larger drive), so I want to transfer the server "backup" on this 500GB SSD to a 5TB platter HHD on my computer, used for maintaining and rotating server backups. Since my server just had a 2TB HDD fail in the RAID 1 last week, I want to back this 500GB SSD with the server "backup" on it, in it's entirety, until I get another 2TB HDD installed in the server RAID 1 itself (later today), providing a little security for my own sake.

When I plug in the USB3 500GB SSD, the drive comes up in Opus 11.16 x64. I highlight all the files/folders and "Cut" them. I "paste" them to the empty 5TB HDD. Opus shows that it is counting the files, then starts to move them. It runs for about 15 seconds, then stops and just sits there. Opus is locked up, no transfers occurring, no transfers, nothing of any sort is occurring. I unplug the SSD, and the files start to transfer for about another 5 seconds (from a buffer?), Then the computer, I suppose, detects the SSD removal, and it drops the transfer. It's so weird cause it locks up until I removed the drive, then it starts copying more files from a buffer (I suppose), until it is exhausted and the lack of the HDD causes the transfer fail. It happens plugged into USB3, USB2, or removed from the case and plugged directly into the MoBo via SATA III (6Gb/s) cable.

Scenario 3: I take a large multi TB platter HDD (1.5 - 5TB) and try to copy my old files to newer hard drives. Generally a few files are moved, then the transfer fails, but the HDD is fine, plugged in via USB3 or directly onto the MoBo via SATA III Cable. This happens every time. I almost have to move 1 folder at a time, which is stupid and ludicrous.

One last thing, as I am so fed up and sick of this issue, and it appears to be Opus, although it may be a fact that Windows 10 just can't copy files, which seems pretty f'ing basic, since I never had this problem in Windows 8 or 7. I am trying to use the new Seagate 8TB HDDs for storage only. I have a lot of movies and stuff I like to keep archived. Hundreds of kids DVD's, a lot of kids Blurays I have ripped into multiple formats, and I have multi TB's of UFC fights that I buy/stream/record. So I have all the originals that I keep away from the kids, even the Blurays, since the kids damage everything, both in the car and downstairs in the living room, regardless of the storage method I figure out for them to follow. So I purchased a couple of these , let's call them, ARCHIVE ONLY HDD's. When you read up them, they are good for writing to, and then leaving alone for reading/streaming/copying to something else. Anyway, I will copy, let's say, 4TB of media miles (mkv, avi, etc) from a good viable Seagate 4TB 7200rpm HDD. I will walk away and go to sleep. I will wake up 6-7 hours later, and the computer is basically locked up. Opus doesn't function at all. My thunderbird email is locked up, no window of Opus will work, I can't open a new lister, and the "OPEN" copy window of opus, from the transfer I setup the night before, is halfway complete, and totally locked up. Even if I removed the hard drives, by disconnecting them, the computer has to be rebooted.

Am I missing some setting of a buffer size within OPUS, or something that will allow transfer to these large drives with a special writing technology/methodology? I just get sick of this lockup happening. AND actually, I have transferred smaller batches of files at work (~1TB or less), to these 8TB HDD's, and the computer worked during the transfer, and after. Did Opus 11.16 set itself up differently at home vs at work? I have 15 licenses for opus, on all my laptops at work. I am just confused on why Opus won't copy files anymore.

Does using the Copy Files button instead of cut/copy/paste work better, or get the same results? (That button will copy what is selected in the source panel into the destination panel, assuming the window is in dual display mode.)

That sounds like a low-level issue to me, i.e. Hardware, drivers or anti-virus.

What happens if you do the same in Explorer?

Are there any errors in the system Event Viewer?

I checked the USB3 drivers, updated them to the latest as per the Motherboard &/or the PCIe controller card. Rebooted.

Using DO 11.16 x64, the same thing happened; copy a few files, then stop (& the opus window auto closed), but very little if anything was copied/cut/pasted. I did thins highlighting all the folders to be cut, and after multiple failures to move, I highlit only a few folders, but the same thing happened; few items were copied or moved.

Using the Windows 10 file explorer, using basic Cut & Paste it moved 412k files/items (about 311GB of data), in one cut/paste, like opus used to. I'm not sure what to look for within Opus, as to settings that may be screwing up this simple action. While it transferred, Opus actually crashed while I was making a folder to another drive, so I could backup some plots and pictures for work. I haven't seen Opus this buggy before. It's weird and odd.

As Leo suggested, check if the Copy Filter is turned on.

Yup, no filter is on. I am totally lost on this one. I thought Windows 10 and Opus would be a perfect Godsend for me with all the transfers and backups I do. But that has not turned out the case. I have scanned the HDD's with scandisk, and defragged them and basically everything I could do, then transferred the files. I would think I could transfer the files without doing all of that. Thanks for your help, I will continue to try to find a reason why things aren't working how I thought they would. Thank you,

Crashing while copying files can be caused by a number of (uncommon) things, most of them external to Opus. We may be able to help identify the component that is crashing if crash dumps are being produced for the crash.

Please link your account if you'd like us to look at them, and zip & email any matching the date/time of the crashes to leo@gpsoft.com.au