Built in viewer video looping

I've kept up to date with the latest versions of Opus, now on 10.0.4.0. I'm sure in a previous version, if I opened the viewer when a video file was selected there was an option to make it repeat or loop until the viewer was closed. There doesn't seem to be this option now. Is there any way to make a video loop endlessly in the viewer - I use this for reviewing short ultrasound clips which are generally about 2 seconds long, and it's very annoying to have to keep pressing play all the time.

The auto-repeat button is still there in the toolbar at the bottom of the Movie plugin:

No, mine looks like this.

For some reason Windows Media Player seems to be in the viewing pane though I've not done anything to consciously request this. How do I go back to the other viewer?

Is the movie plugin enabled?

Yes

Make sure the file extension you're trying to play is in its list. (Click Configure to edit the list.)

You'll also need a 64-bit codec (and possibly DirectShow splitter) for the format, if you are using 64-bit Opus. If those are missing (or not registered properly) then the Movie plugin will fail to show the file and Opus will fall back on the ActiveX plugin (which uses 32-bit Windows Media Player).

The Media Playback FAQ may help.

No, it's 32 bit. All extensions I want to preview are correctly listed.

Only thing I can think of that has changed is I've recently upgraded to vlc player v2. I've had all the previous versions of vlc and even though I've changed the file associations so vids automatically play in vlc i've never had problems previously. Might the installer for v2 have mucked things up? If so, how can I fix things? I'm quite happy tinkering with the registry if need be.

VLC has always been pretty good at breaking all the DirectShow and ActiveX filetype information in the registry for any filetype it takes over, so I suspect that is what has happened. Try the .reg file in the FAQ I linked above to see if it helps repair things.

(I use VLC myself and it's really useful, but I've learned to never let it take over any filetypes.)

Sorry, tried all that. No joy. It's as though opus doesn't even realise the video plugin exists. I've tried reinstalling and rebooting to no effect. I'm really stuck with this now. Anything else you can suggest to troubleshoot?

Uninstalling VLC might restore the registry settings. You could then reinstall it while being careful not to let it take over any types.

Try with some different video files/formats too, in case it's a problem specific to the files or formats you are trying to play.

Have tried that, but it still keeps showing what looks like windows media player plugin when I click on a video and won't play using movie.dll plugin. I've tried reinstalling opus and all sorts, just nothing seems to work.

Check the registry for the filetype in question and make sure either the PerceivedType or Content Type value identifies it as a video.

E.g., for a .avi file, you would look for:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.avi
(String) PerceivedType = video
or
(String) Content Type = video/avi

[quote="jon"]Check the registry for the filetype in question and make sure either the PerceivedType or Content Type value identifies it as a video.

E.g., for a .avi file, you would look for:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.avi
(String) PerceivedType = video
or
(String) Content Type = video/avi[/quote]

Thank you, this fixed it straight away. Still not sure what corrupted all the registry entries in the first place!

It was probably VLC.

At least in my experience, if VLC takes over a filetype then, instead of merging its filetype settings with the existing ones, it completely replaces them.

Just a quick update if anyone is having video problems and following this thread. Despite the above I still had problems with flv video files and I could no longer edit them in tmpgenc either. Suspecting there might be some corruption with codecs, I uninstalled anything codec related, rebooted, then installed the free codec pack from shark007.net and rebooted again. After that, no problems at all, can play any video in the dopus viewer like I could before and all my video editing worked correctly. So for anyone else having problems, bear in mind it might be codec related and nothing to do with opus.