Bulk Rename/Taskbar Right-Click Bugs in 10.2.0.7

Not necessarily support requests, but a couple of buggy behaviors I've noticed in the latest beta version, 10.2.0.7:

[ul][li]Right-click doesn't work on the taskbar icon for me. Left-clicking the taskbar icon, however, brings up the context menu a right-click would normally display.[/li][li]Bulk renames only work on the first file selected rather than all files selected — sometimes. I wish I could say there was a repeatable pattern to the failure, but it's happened a few times today and not happened a few times. :confused: [/li][/ul]

Sorry for posting them together, but they didn't seem to rate their own threads (this being a beta release and all). If there's better netiquette for reporting this sort of thing in the future, please don't hesitate to set me straight. :slight_smile:

Maybe I can be of some help. Leo and others have graciously helped me develop scripts to allow DO to perform many of the functions I previously relied upon BRU to perform. But on occasion I find myself using it. First I created a button with the following:
"C:\Program Files\Utilities\Bulk Rename Utility\Bulk Rename Utility.exe" {s!} which allows me to run BRU within that directory/folder, etc. that I'm in so I never need to use the "Right-click". I also went to the "option" menu in BRU and checked Auto-select entries" so it selects all files when I run that command. I never need to use the Right-Click method anymore.

I hope that was of some use for you.

I think it has always behaved that way and is meant to. Left or right-click bring up the menu. Double-click does whatever Preferences / Launching Opus / From the Taskbar icon is set to do.

[quote][ul][li]Bulk renames only work on the first file selected rather than all files selected — sometimes. I wish I could say there was a repeatable pattern to the failure, but it's happened a few times today and not happened a few times. :confused: [/li][/ul][/quote]
Difficult to answer without an actual example, but I suspect the rename pattern you are using only matches the first file.

Unless they're related, it's better to use separate threads for each issue. Otherwise, everything gets jumbled up and is difficult to follow and harder for people with the same questions to find when searching.

That sounds familiar! :stuck_out_tongue: I too was reluctant to abandon BRU (and another bit of freeware called NewNames) when I first started using Opus. Now, though, I can't remember the last time I had to fall back on them, since Opus can do so much in the way of renaming. :slight_smile:

I was anxious to drop that note off someplace where I wouldn't forget about it yesterday — but after getting out of the rename-intensive spot I was in during the middle of the day, I couldn't replicate it again later. :blush:

For now, I think it's best we go with your theory and assume human error crept in somewhere. (No documentation, no recreation — it might as well not have happened.)

I think it has always behaved that way and is meant to. Left or right-click bring up the menu. Double-click does whatever Preferences / Launching Opus / From the Taskbar icon is set to do.[/quote]
My brain was stuck in first gear yesterday. That should have been "tray icon," not "taskbar"! :blush:

Perhaps there's some legacy setting in play, but that's definitely not been the case here. Right-click's always brought up the Tray Icon Context Menu, and left-click (I'm pretty sure) did nothing. (Double-click opens an empty lister for me, as I'd configured Opus to do long ago.)

This one, I'm pretty sure, is a bug.

For what it's worth, the current behavior I'm seeing in 10.2.0.7 is the same behavior I experience when I remote into my computer from somewhere else. Right-click is always dicey when using a remote connection via the browser, so I have to bring up the Tray Icon Context Menu by right-clicking then immediately left-clicking the tray icon — or by simply left-clicking the icon. I doubt that's relevant, but thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Thanks! I knew I should've made time to start two threads. A good reason to be thankful one of them looks like pure and simple human error! :smiley:

[quote="Secret-HQ"]Perhaps there's some legacy setting in play, but that's definitely not been the case here. Right-click's always brought up the Tray Icon Context Menu, and left-click (I'm pretty sure) did nothing. (Double-click opens an empty lister for me, as I'd configured Opus to do long ago.)

This one, I'm pretty sure, is a bug.[/quote]

I checked the code and it brings up the menu on a single left-click completely intentionally.

Opus 9 was indeed different (single left-click did nothing at all), but the current behaviour has been there since Opus 10.0.0.0, so it's pretty old now.

[quote="leo"]I checked the code and it brings up the menu on a single left-click completely intentionally.

Opus 9 was indeed different (single left-click did nothing at all), but the current behaviour has been there since Opus 10.0.0.0, so it's pretty old now.[/quote]
I decided to uninstall Opus and do a clean install — and, lo, both the right-click and left-click now bring up the tray icon menu (which is A-O.K. super-cool with me! :smiley: ).

Before I uninstalled, I backed up my configuration to an .OCB file, and I restored that configuration after installing and restarting the computer. Even with the restored config, the proper behaviors seem to be sticking.

:thumbsup:

Cool, glad it's working.

Also, apologies, I kept misreading what you were saying was the problem. :slight_smile: I thought you meant the problem was that left-click brought up the menu, not that right-click didn't. Not sure how I missed that so many times! Sorry!

So, just to correct what I said earlier (while thinking I was saying something else): Right-click most definitely is meant to open the menu.

It couldn't have helped that I ran in like a madman, posted a few muddled notes, and scuttled off to my hidey-hole in a rush. :unamused:

Thanks, Leo!