Can I limit max width of column but still auto resizing?

In list and details view I would like to have Opus automatically resize width of filename columns like it already does. But then when I enter a folder like windows\system32 the width is just too large taking away too much screen real estate. So I'd like to limit only maximum width while still having Opus automatically resize between that max width size and shorter size.

Manually setting always same width is really not flexible enough to be using it because some folders have really long filenames some have really short. I just don't want the whole folder with thousands of files to be as wide because of one hugely long filename.

Is this possible? If not perhaps this should be implemented.

You can't do that at the moment, but you could save a format with fixed-width columns for the Windows\System32 folder and any similar ones where that is what you want.

I've been playing with Dopus for a couple of hours, and simply can't find a way to STOP the auto-sizing when my folders have long filenames in them.

Relevant global settings:

• Ignore folder format of Default Lister is ON
  • Enable folder content type detection is OFF
  • Format lock is NOT on (the padlock is always open)

I've tried saving a default lister, I've tried saving a named lister and reopening that, I've tried editing the Flat File and Custom folder formats in Preferences, I've tried saving the current folder format (with the desired narrower width) "for all folders" & "replace all" (also tried For All folder types and layouts, per Folder Formats: Quick Guide).

Yet EVERTY TIME I open any folder which has a long filename in it - including the same one I saved with a fixed with in the above step - it opens with a very wide Name column. What blindingly obvious point am I missing here?

Suppressing such an annoying behaviour (and autoresizing in a way kills so much real estate IS very annoying) should not be this hard!

Win7/64, Dopus 10.0.2.3.4367.64

Thanks.

Hover over the status bar's format lock icon when you go to the folder and it will tell you where the format is coming from.

Thanks Leo. The solution is actually the additional Display|Auto-size columns setting when you edit the Custom format. It defaults to ON even though I have a fixed width specified, and once I found it, turning it off fixes my problem. It is not mentioned in the quick tutorial, which implies it is sufficient to simply create and apply a custom format.

Any chance of getting this feature in DO11?

Just a little input box next to the Automatically Expand Columns checkbox that allows you to set a max width.