Cannot select any filename with three characters

I may be completely insane. But when I use the select command from the CLI, a button or via dopusrt it refuses to work for any file/directory whose name consists of three characters.

In the CLI I run the following commands:

CREATEFOLDER A AB ABC ABCD ABCDE SELECT NONE SELECT A SELECT AB SELECT ABC SELECT ABCD SELECT ABCDE DELETE
This leaves one directory in the source directory: ABC

It also does not work for any directory with spaces where the first part consists of three characters:

REATEFOLDER "A X" "ABC X" "ABCDE X" SELECT NONE SELECT "A X" SELECT "ABC X" SELECT "ABCDE X" DELETE
This also leaves one directory: ABC X

Of course this also affects what I visibly see as selected. I just used these commands as a sure way to reproduce the problem. At least on my computer.

Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong?

Yes, believe it or not it's a feature :slight_smile:

The Select command lets you enter a list of filename extensions in more "traditional" (for Windows users) forms than the native wildcard format.

For example, instead of *.(gif|png|jpg) you can use gif;png;jpg or gif png jpg. Note that this only works with three letter extensions.

So what's happening is the function is seeing your "abc" and thinking "ah! it must be a file extension he's trying to select."

This is also why the text in the Select dialog says "Enter a wildcard pattern or a filename extension."

We'll change this in the next version so that when the pattern is given as an argument to the Select command (as you are doing) this behavior is disabled - however it will still work when used through the Select dialog or the Select Field on a toolbar.

Haha, that is both :open_mouth: and :laughing: .

The obvious followup question is if there is a way to override this behavior?

I am trying to make a button that creates a new empty file. And I also want the new file to be selected. But since the default filename is "New File.txt" this feature becomes a bit annoying.

Of course, if the new version you speak of is going to be released soon I can just wait for that.

Well - very soon, as it seems: [Directory Opus 9.0.0.3) :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jan

The new version fixed the problem as promised.

Thanks mates.

Edit: New version was 9.0.0.3 for anyone who reads this later on.