Can't Get "Thumbnail" and "Details" Mode to Stick!

I've just started using Directory Opus 10, I just don't get it.

It's very important to me to simply have the contents of my Image folders displayed as Thumbnails and the contents of my data folders displayed as Details. I've gone into PREFERENCES - FOLDER FORMATS - CONTENT TYPE FORMATS and under "Images", I've selected the display to be "Thumbnails". For everything else I've selected the display to be "Details". But all my folders open up in the mode in which I had the LAST folder opened.

All folders open the SAME way, no matter how I've designated them to open. And whenever I change the "thumbnail" or "details" mode in ANY folder, it changes the mode for EVERY FOLDER ON MY COMPUTER. (Windows Explorer always made the display of each folder the exact way you last had it set).

Can someone just tell me, in simple terms, how to make this work in Opus? I expect it's something easy -- but I just can't figure it out!

These two FAQs are helpful:

[url]Folder Formats: Quick Guide]

[url]Folder Formats: Detailed Guide]

I read those, abr, and simply found them confusing: "This FAQ explains how to make Opus use the same format in all normal directories."

What exactly is a "normal" directory? I don't understand that term.

But it still didn't make my Image Files open as thumbnails. Any time I change one of my directories to another mode, ALL my directories open up in that mode thereafter.

What am I doing wrong?

I can't completely answer your questions, but try hovering the mouse pointer over the padlock icon in the status bar. That will at least show you what folder format is providing the current display.

Perhaps you have the format lock turned on. The small lock icon at the bottom right should show in the open state. You can change the state
by clicking on that lock icon. The normal directories are all those, which are not special system folders or virtual folders.

How does Opus "know" that your folder contains images? Are you using Content Type Detection...?

You can hover your mouse over the lock symbol, as shown, to see what format is in use for a specific folder.

Regards, AB

"How does Opus "know" that your folder contains images? Are you using Content Type Detection...?"

THAT WAS IT, aussieboykie! It wasn't set to "Enable Folder Content Type Detection". Thank you so much. I never would've found that on my own.

I'm sure I'm gonna have more questions as I go along, but not being able to set Folder Modes was a major concern to me!

Thanks to everybody!