Can't install Opus 12 on Win 10: error 0x8000FFFF

Hello
I'm trying to install Opus12 on a Win 10 PC. I downloaded 12.2 and saved the .exe to Downloaded files. I right-click and choose "Run as Administrator". I click myself through the install shield questions and Opus starts to install. When the green status bar in "Setup Status" is completely green a windows error message pops up:

And that's it, the installation terminates and no Opus is installed. Anyone got any ideas?

/mikael

Problems installing Opus has some suggestions. What you're seeing seems most similar to the 2nd last item.

Hello

No, that didn't help. I tried the steps for a 64bit system, but the Installshield Installation Information folder is not even present on my system (and yes, I cheked for hiddden files).
So right now I'm out of ideas.

My ideas are:

1. Turn off Defender, just in case.
  2. Create "GPSoftware" directory inside "Program Files" and add full rights (security tab in properties, change owner to your account then add users and administrators or even "everyone" as full rights for this directory).
  3. Install DOpus.
    Just in case - if still no success - repeat operation for C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware

That is what I may try.

Did you check under C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) (or both)? It's the (x86) one where it is found on my system. (Opus itself is 64-bit, but the installer is 32-bit, since it needs to work on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.)

Full path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information

Sigh...
No luck with either of your sugestions. Leo, I found the InstallShield-folder where you said, but it didn't help. Peterb, Adding the GPSoftware directorys and changing the user rights didn't help either.

This computer is an AD-controlled computer so there is a lot of windows policies affecting the computer, which is not the case in a stand alone Win10 installation. We are just in the process of changing from Win7 to Win10 and dopus is actually the only program so far not working om my computer in this enviroment. In Win 7 I've been running DOpus for years in the same type of AD controlled computers.

In your environment, are you able to run Microsoft's Process Monitor tool to log the actions the installer takes? That may point to what is going wrong.

Unfortunately, if InstallShield hits a problem doing one of its actions then it isn't very good at reporting what the problem was, but it may be something simple like a file or folder it isn't able to overwrite, e.g. due to permissions or anti-virus or similar. If so, Process Monitor can often reveal the cause.

Yes, I can run Process Monitor. I filtered out the process "DopusInstall.exe" and I got a list of close to 22000 events just from the last click on "Next" in the installer until installation abort. I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Most lines has "Success" as result. If I filter away the events with Success i get about 1700 lines with another result and out of these I can find 16 events where the result is "FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS". The list below is in order of event were the first line happend first.

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ExplorerFrame.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\edputil.dll
C:\Users\xxxxx\Downloads\DOpusInstall.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\linkinfo.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntshrui.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\srvcli.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cscapi.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopushlp.dll
C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\{E6DC4FEA-5BAA-47F9-803F-91F52AD210A8}\ISBEW64.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopuslib32.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wtsapi32.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopuslib.dll
C:\Users\admmilb\AppData\Local\Temp\{E6DC4FEA-5BAA-47F9-803F-91F52AD210A8}\ISBEW64.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopushlp.dll
C:\Users\admmilb\AppData\Local\Temp\{E6DC4FEA-5BAA-47F9-803F-91F52AD210A8}\ISBEW64.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\netutils.dll

These are the only errors I can find that is even close to killing the installer, but I might be looking at the wrong process or someting else. Most of the errors are "Name not found", "Reparse", "Is directory" and some "Buffer Overflow"

The installer will extract another compressed .exe and then run that, I believe.

If you can save the ProcMon log into .PML format (File > Save as from within ProcMon), then zip and email it to leo@gpsoft.com.au I can take a look at it for you. It will usually be a large file but will compress well.

Having this same issue installing on Win 8.1 x64. Has a solution been found?

Nothing new so far.

Have you tried the suggestions earlier in the thread? They may work for you.

If they don't, and you want to make a ProcMon log, I'd be happy to look at it.

I've now sent the log file. Please let me know if it didn't arrive due to size limitation in any email server.

• me97mlg:

Your logs show that something is killing the installer's secondary processes (ISBEW64.exe) the moment they are started. This indicates something very low-level, most likely anti-virus or part of the OS configuration itself, which is stopping the process from starting.

InstallShield extracts ISBEW64.exe to the temp directory and runs it a few times during the course of the installation. On a normal installation, this is what the startup of the first instance looks like, and it carries on running for a few seconds (sometimes in parallel with other instances):

You can see it loads ntdll.dll (the main Windows DLL, always loaded first), then goes on to load some registry settings and several other Windows DLLs.

However, when this is attempted in your log, it seems to be killed during or just after the ntdll.dll load, and we can see it happens each time ISBEW64.exe is launched by the installer, each one failing instantly:

Since something is killing the process before it can properly start, I can't say much more and you may need to investigate your OS settings and antivirus. e.g. If your OS is configured to not allow .exe files in the temp directory to run, then that could be causing the problem (but would also cause a lot of other InstallShield installers to fail, I would expect).

Antivirus logs and the Windows Event Viewer logs may contain some useful information if you check for events around the same time as the installer was run.

• matcat:

Your logs show something quite different. The installer seems to get a lot farther and looks like it is working in general, but there is one very strange thing going on: You are on a 64-bit version of Windows, and the installer is installing the 64-bit version of Windows, but it has chosen to put the files under C:\Program Files (x86) instead of C:\Program Files.

That may not be part of the problem but it's definitely fishy. I recommend uninstalling Opus if any previous version is installed, and then re-downloading the installer. Make sure no compatibility settings are turned on for the installer, and run it again by double-clicking it from the Desktop. (Avoid launching it from anything else, in case the launcher is causing some part of its environment to be inherited by the installer).

Note that uninstalling Opus will wipe the Opus config (if any). If you need to back it up first, see here. (If it's the first time Opus is being installed there won't be any config to worry about.)

Please also try the suggestions in Problems installing Opus if you haven't already.

Hello Leo.

Thanks for the information. Now I understand what's wrong. We were hit by ransomware a few month ago forcing us to limit the possibility to execute installers in the temp directory and that's probably what's happening here.
I'm however confused, because we have the same limitation in our Win7 enviroment and in win 7 I have now problem installing Dopus. This problem occured when we shifted to Win 10. Is the installer working in different ways in Win7 and Win10?

Now I have to talk to the people that knows Windows inside out to see if they can help.

Thanks for all help!

You can change TEMP directory - eightforums.com/tutorials/23 ... ndows.html.
After DOpus installation you can revert to default values.

It works the same in both. Must be a configuration difference between the two setups. (Maybe the Win7 setup allowed signed executables but the Win10 one doesn't allow any at all, or similar?)

It must be something like that. For me the problem is now solved, there was a way around the limitations in the environment when knowing what to fix.
What got me confused to start with was the strange error message. Normally when this protection funktion strikes in, I get a message saying that I am "prohibited to install this program due to a group policy" and the installer never starts. And since Dopus installer worked in Win7 I didn't see the problem from the right perspective.

I followed the instructions for removing the InstallShield folder and the other subsequent files as well as tried redownloading the installer and attempting to install again. I am not running in compatibility mode. No joy, same error. I don't currently have directoryopus installed, I purchased the humblebundle and this is the first time I've tried to install the software. As far as why the installer is attempting to install to the x86 folder, I'm not sure. Any other suggestions?

I don't see a way to edit my previous post, however I wanted to add I checked the corresponding registry values for the ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir (x86) and they are correctly assigned to their respective locations.

There may be some registry entries that shows default path for Opus wrong. Personally I don't like when programs install in two separate folders (I think it's useless in 99% cases and directory name doesn't determine type of execute file; I also like to see all my programs in one folder), so I created junction "progs" that point to "Program Files" directory, because some programs install in x86 folder anyway, no matter if you force them to install in main "Program Files". If you want to force programs to install in "Program Files", make junction (junction c:\progs "c:\Program Files" - technet.microsoft.com/pl-pl/sys ... 96768.aspx in case that your system doesn't native support this) and select c:\progs\ as installation directory.

If you have no Opus installed, check registry for "Program Files (x86)\GPSoftware" - maybe there is some old entry with that wrong path somewhere.

Another strange idea is to create new windows administrator account, switch users then try to install Opus (for all users).

All my advices are just guessing, unfortunatelly. I'm just want to help by give some ideas.