Changing The Cache Location On Our New System

I am in the process of setting up my new design and video editing system and am getting everything installed.

One of the major changes I have implemented on this new system is the use of dedicated Solid state hdds for managing certain specs of the system>

1 x 1TB SSD OS
1 x 1TB SSD Cache Drive
1x 1TB SSD Rendering Out Driv4
2x 4TB 10k RPM Media Drive Raid 10
2x 4TB 10 k RpM Project Drive Raid 0

(FYI -All backed up to a 36TB onsite NAS which is backed up to an offsite 36TB NAS, which is then archived to online cold storage with Amazon).

One of the issues with video editing is bottle necks when systems are trying to both read and write to a drive that is already under a lot of load. So in our new system we have split out all the major aspects of how and where data is pulled in from and written to.
Essentially, we have tried to minimize key data areas / drives having to read and write at the same time.

This means that files are pulled from there location drives at fast as possible, while rendering out / caching / previewing to respected dedicated drives.

This has made they system super quick.

Now, having said all that, the last major piece of software we want to add is Opus, and as such we would like to be able to send all the thumbnail files to our dedicated Cache drive. I don't see a way to do this easily, or if it is still possible.

I did come across a button function for an earlier version of Opus and am wondering whether this will still work?

<?xml version="1.0"?> Move Thumbnail Cache #makedir @nofilenamequoting @Set dd={dlgfolder|Select new thumbnail cache location} Copy MOVE "/dopuslocaldata\Thumbnail Cache" TO "{$dd}" Copy MAKELINK=junction "{$dd}\Thumbnail Cache" TO "/dopuslocaldata"

If this does still work, how do i tell it were to put the new thumbnail location?

If this cant be don't on the latest version of Opus, then i would be interesting in paying to have this function added.

Thanks

Mark
NZ

If you are referring to Leo's button, then I see no reason why this would not work. I've used it on Dopus 10/11 and Windows 7 x64 with a Ramdisk.

The button is just doing the work for you by first picking your new location, then copying the current cache to the new location. Then creating a Windows Junction from old to new.

If the button doesn't work on Windows 8.1 or 10, I'm sure Leo would update the script if he knew of a problem.

The best thing to do is to:

• Install the Dopus trail version (if you don't already have it installed)
  • Follow Leo's instructions on how to add a button from the forum.
  • When ready to move the Thumbnail Cache, click the newly created button. A pop-up will ask you where the new Thumbnail Cache should go.

Hope that helps. If not, Jon or Leo will be up soon :slight_smile:

It should still work. If you run into any problems, please let us know.

I installed this button the other day on the current latest DOpus and Windows 7 and it worked just fine.

My question or problem is that I can't make the thumbnail cache larger than 6GB - Which is why I tried moving it off my main SSD system drive - to see if that worked?

It didn't change anything, the maximum size seems to be set at 6GB and when trawling through my photo archives the other day, it was taking ages to rebuild thumbnail archives, with current usage at approx 5.9GB, so all I can guess, is that to make way for new thumbnails, older ones are being deleted, which is a pain next time I want to view other folders again (if they're the ones that got deleted)

Is there any way to increase the 6GB limit? I now have plenty of space for them on my newly assigned (junctioned) spool/cache drive.

What size do you have set under Preferences / File Display Modes / Thumbnails: Adjust cache settings?

The maximum it will stay at is 6GB - I try setting it higher and it shows as the new higher value when I press OK, but when I go back to it later... - !!! Hang on, maybe I repeatedly (at various times!) forgot to press "Apply" or "OK" on the remaining Preferences screen.

Yes, that seems to have been the problem - Sorry (we all do something silly now and again!)

Very handy. Just one comment, i have tried to move the thumbnail cache to an exFAT drive, but i got some error message after the copying was almost done, because of the wrong FS.

Seems like a bad idea.

exFAT only makes sense if the drive has to be removable, and even then only if it has to be compatible with something that can't understand NTFS.

Yeah, i forgot, that my other SSD is the only non-NTFS drive. So i have it moved to my old SSD, where it seems to work well. Otherwise i would have to move it to my normal disk then. I had the idea, that having the thumbnails on the SSD would speed up the process a bit.

Edit: this is my new SSD, it came with ExFAT. From a brief research it looked like converting isn't as easy, as we're used converting FAT to NTFS, so i left it that way for now. For just holding various backups of my data it works good enough for me.