Clashing entries on context menu for a file

Hi All,

I have UltraEdit and Tortoise SVN - both of which add very handy entries to the context menus for files.. both of which have "U" in their name.. :frowning:

Ultraedit -> meaning open this file with UltraEdit.
SVN Update -> do that SVN command on the file.

I am used to (very speedily) pressing the context menu key + U to open a file in UltraEdit, but (in Windows Explorer and Directory Opus) "SVN Update" is higher on the menu and selected first. In Windows Explorer, it just selects it (I have to press enter) and in Directory Opus it will execute it.

What I really want is to put UltraEdit first and have it executed. Is there a way to do this? Is it a Directory Opus setting or do I have to screw around with the registry?

Thanks for any advice!

Rob
:slight_smile:

It depends how those programs have added their context menu items.

I know that Tortoise SVN uses a shell extension so if you want to change it you'll have to use this method to hide/move/replace its menus, which is a bit of a pain.

UltraEdit might create a filetype context menu item, in which case you should be able to edit the name (and thus which letter is underlined and acts as a hotkey) via Settings -> FileTypes in Opus. (If not, you could hide its entry using the method mentioned above, then create a similar filetype context menu item which does the same thing and has a different name.)

UltraEdit registers a shell extension as well, not a direct filetype action...

So you'd want to use somthing like:

FileType CONTEXTMENU {b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000} CONTEXTFORCE FileType CONTEXTMENU {whatever_the_SVN_handler_CSLID_is} CONTEXTFORCE
Don't have Toroise installed so not sure what CSLID it uses... anyone else know?

So then you would force the UltrEdit menu item to appear "first" by adding both these commands to the context menu of the 'All files' filetype in Opus' filetype editor... but it'll only help without harming if you also disable all the rest of the third party extensions with the Hide Windows items on file context menus option in Preferences... otherwise, you'll end up with the two entries both listed TWICE in your context menu... once from the normal Windows instance, and now again from adding them manually through Opus. But of course... the Hide option also hides all the 'other' context menu items as well...

The link Leo posted shows the command you can use to bury all the normal Windows context menu items in a suib-menu...

What some of us do is to hide all the normal stuff with the Hide option... then selectively and manually add just what we want, in the order that we want back to the Opus menu, based on what we use most often and makes the most sense to us... then create a context sub-menu in the 'All files and folders' filetype in Opus filetype editor (mines called 'Windows Stuff') and add that command from Leo's posted link. That way, if you have a seldom used item you don't normally like to have cluttering up your context menu, it's "in there" without you having had to poke around to find it's CSLID to add manually in a FileType CONTEXTMENU opus command...

Use the Settings->Backup & Restore feature to save a copy of your current config, and then "play around" with things to see what works well for you...

Give a shout if you need help tracking down CSLID's for the FileType CONTEXTMENU commands. Some applications won't even use CSLID's... some you'll be able to just add the program call with an argument or something.

Yup, here it is:

FileType CONTEXTMENU {30351349-7B7D-4FCC-81B4-1E394CA267EB} CONTEXTFORCE

(That's the 32-bit version, at any rate. I'm not sure if the 64-bit version of TortoiseSVN uses a different GUID.)