Column trouble

I'm having trouble getting a "location" column to show up only in certain listers.

I've created a "Find" lister (as a pseudo replacement for the floating find window in v9 - as suggested in another thread) and I want a "location" column in it. The problem is - if I add a location column in my "Find" lister, it shows up in all the rest of the listers. I don't want the location column in my default lister because after all, when I'm browsing I know exactly where I'm at - why would I need a location column to tell me that? It's a waste of screen realestate.

However, when I'm searching recursively through multiple folders, the results tell me what I've found but not where the files are located. And to start doing a properties on the files is just too clickity-clackity.

The find function of the Utility panel isn't too bad because the results are shown in the source folder in a new tab. I actually kinda like that. But again, without a location column telling me where the files that I've found are located, I'm at a loss. And again, adding a location column to the find results tab also adds it to all my other listers.

I would prefer to work this out for my Find lister ('cause I could stretch out the location column more, as it would be in a larger window), but getting this to work in a find results tab would also be acceptable.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Go to Preferences / Folders / Folder Formats and edit the Collections format, adding the Location column to it.

You should then get the Location column whenever you are looking at a collection (e.g. Find Results).

Note that in the screenshow I've told Opus to do a multi-column sort, first by Location and then by Name. You can do that by holding Ctrl and clicking on the sort column.

You may also need to expand the Path Formats section at the top of the folder formats list, and make sure you don't have any formats saved for coll://Find Results (or similar), in case you created any while trying to solve the problem in different ways. If there are any, either delete them (so that the Collections format is used) or add the Location column to them as well.

See the Folder Formats FAQ for background info (the Detailed Guide part is most relevant, in this case).

To notch effort Leo. Thank you very much