Columns changed when going to/back from flatview

I don't see the point of having the Type column being displayed at all time. So I removed it from the displayed fields, I resized the Name column, and I save "for all folders", "replacing all existing saved formats", and if I open a new tab it's going to use those settings. No problems there.

Now, I also have a specific tab that I use to monitor modified files (CVS status). So in that tab, I'm trying to show Location & CVS Status along with the other columns. And I have custom widths for this view.
Trouble is, every time I switch on or off the flat view mode, all the widths are reset (to what? I don't know) and the Type column keeps coming back.

Is it a bug or is there something I'm missing?

Edit:
Side question that could "solve" my problem: I'm trying to create a hotkey to set the columns like I want. Do I need to actually type all the columns I need or is there a way to save a column configuration under a name?

FlatView has its own Folder Format.

HOW TO: Understand and Configure Folder Formats

Holy !
I've been looking for this everywhere!!!

May I suggest that a link should be added from the column configuration dialog to the info shown there? The two are really tied functionally, yet I needed you to tell me that I could create multiple formats setups.

Ok, now on to trying to create mutiple favorites view & assigning those to a keyboard ...

[quote="zeflash"]May I suggest that a link should be added from the column configuration dialog to the info shown there? The two are really tied functionally, yet I needed you to tell me that I could create multiple formats setups.

Ok, now on to trying to create mutiple favorites view & assigning those to a keyboard ...[/quote]

By "Column Configuration Dialog", do you mean the Columns tab of the Folder Options dialog from the Column Headers context menu?

(There are actually several ways to get to the Folder Options dialog.)

I agree Folder Formats tend to be hidden. This is why we have FAQs.