Current betas: diacritical characters

The newest version of Opus is broken. It saves diacritical characters in a wrong way, turning "ä", "ö" and "ü" into some chinese characters. That alone woudn't be a problem. But for some very strange reason all the Betas are the same, so we can't even get an older version, which is actually working!

Can anyone please PM me some older version, presumably that one, before the tag "fix" came out? Sorry, but that is not funny!

:angry:

If a beta is causing problems, please revert to the current stable version until they are fixed.

An important detail is missing from your bug report: What are you saving? Image tags? MP3 tags? Filenames?

Please give some examples as well so we can try to reproduce it.

If you are looking for a certain version you can download it here ...

Yes, finally i found out, that the last stable version was indeed a different version, which is also working now, again. Thank you, and sorry for maybe sounding harsh. Normally, i use to keep the last few Betas, but just in this case i had cleaned up my programs folder, so i couldn't find the last Beta, which worked.

I was trying to save tags to some JPGs, using either SetAttr META "tags:{dlgstring}" or kundal's Tagger script, which both showed the same issue, displaying those diacritical characters in chinese characters.

To reproduce it, i would suggest to install the german version (in a VM) (maybe it happens with other versions as well, i didn't try that), and then try to apply tags to some standard JPG files, using that mentioned command.

There's only really the latest beta and latest stable versions available (ignoring Opus 9 etc. which are also there), since each new beta replaces the old one.

If you are looking for a certain version you can download it here ...

viewforum.php?f=1[/quote]

Yes, that's where i got the supposedly older version from. Obviously, all newer Betas are actually the same, identical file. But reverting to some official nin beta version did the trick. Thanks!

Thanks for the extra info. I confirm it looks like something is wrong there in the beta.

This also seems to affect script-addins, which make use of unicode characters in columns e.g. like this one: Column: ModifiedWithin (alternative to 'modified'-labels)
The little black rectangle used by default for the "character" column is messed up currently, here is an before and after comparison:

For info: Tested German umlauts in misc MP3-tags, no problems here (latest Beta).

@abr: Confirmed, this problem was introduced with the IPTC changes in the previous betas. Will be fixed in the next update.

@tbone: Those characters ("â–") are embedded in your actual script file; if you want to use UTF-8 encoded characters you need a BOM at the start of the file which you don't seem to have.

@jon
Yes, I need to check wether I did (accidentally?) change the encoding of that particular script. I use it at home and at work. Yesterday I noticed:
At home it shows the bad character, but at work it's ok. I'd be surprised if the encoding got mixed up, but I'm not sure yet. Will report back..

Thanks for fixing this! :slight_smile:

Hmm, now that i tried more than a test tag for the diacritical chars, i found another issue. It seems, like only the last keyword is kept in the latest version. For instance, submitting "parks;ships;trees" would result in only one tag, the last one: "trees". If i would add "buildings;people", then only "people" would remain.

Just wanted to add my findings. I had two version of the same script-addin in place, the one at work was UTF8 encoded and contained the right character, the one at home was UTF16 and that special characters was malformed due to something bad happening during an encoding switch I must have triggered somehow.

So I think all is fine, error on my side! Thank you! o)

It's all fixed now, thanks, Jon.

:thumbsup: