Default Behaviour When Clicking A File Or Folder

Sorry, it seemed to me as if there were no connection to the forum, so my posting was sent twice. Could you please delete this posting?

Thanks!

Greetings,
Jan

It's no problem. There's so much activity here right now it's hard to keep up.

That makes sense. I think it usually happens too fast to notice but it make sense, what you've said. Just to confirm, you're seeing this in List/Thumbs/Tiles mode, correct? (i.e. Not Details or Power.)

That's correct.

Greetings,
Jan

I can confirm this, it does always happen, not just when an application does not steal focus. It's harder to notice when something steals focus because the focus stealing cancels the rename mode, but it still happens briefly. You can see it if you open a file in an application that takes a long time to load (adobe reader for example, usually takes a good couple of seconds). The rename mode will start for a second or too, and then be canceled when the application finally steals focus.

Back to my original issue at the start of this post i.e. when I click on the icon of a file that already has focus, the file goes into rename mode.

This behaviour is different to Explorer and many other file managers. The default behaviour of Explorer is that the file name, not the icon, of an already highlighted file must be clicked to rename the file.

I've figured out why the DOpus default behaviour is such a pain in the A. I usually use 2 listers tiled horizontally. If I click on a file in the top lister, for instance, and then click on another file in the bottom lister and then decide that I want to delete the already highlighted file in the top lister, I must click on that file to give it the focus before I hit the delete key on my keyboard.

Problem is, as soon as I click on it, it goes into rename mode and then when I hit my Delete key, I delete the file name and not the file itself.

This is extremely annoying. In my humble opinion, DOpus should follow the behaviour of Windows Explorer in this respect i.e the file name should have to be clicked to rename a file and not either the icon or the name as is currently the case.

Same deal if I left click on an already hightlighted file's icon to drag it somewhere and then change my mind. The file goes into rename mode. This just doesn't make sense.

I'm still trialling DOPus and I love it, but I find this issue so annoying that it would probably put me off purchasing it.

I'm not arguing against changing the behaviour but as a workaround you could either:
[ol][li]Click the file display border (the thing with the path and back/forward/parent/close/etc. buttons) to activate the other file display
or[/li]
[li]After clicking the file (and triggering inline rename), click on the delete button in your toolbar instead of pressing the Del key (since your hand is on the mouse anyway). That will delete the file even if inline rename is active.[/li][/ol]

Thanks for the reply Nudel.

What I can't understand is why the default behaviour was designed to go against the status quo of Explorer and many others, for no apparently good reason. It seems to have lots of drawbacks and no advantages.

[quote="cqdigital"]Problem is, as soon as I click on it, it goes into rename mode and then when I hit my Delete key, I delete the file name and not the file itself.
[...]
Same deal if I left click on an already hightlighted file's icon to drag it somewhere and then change my mind. The file goes into rename mode. This just doesn't make sense. [/quote]
I strongly second that impression. Happens to me about 50 times a day as well, no kidding. I'm like already intimidated and tense, at times, about when the next horrifying unwanted rename might strike me... It's like I'm always starting to ponder "how could I go about to highlight that file without having to click on it?".

Actually, my proposal is to get rid of the "second click rename mode" (what is "inline rename" anyway?) altogether, as an option. All the time I find that for different reasons it is necessary to click on a file that already has focus -- whereas each and every time I find myself in the Þ†¢Ə¿Ÿ unwanted rename mode.

If I really really do want to rename a file, I still always can hit F2. Or an option could be created that you enter rename mode by holding the left mouse button down for like 200 milliseconds or something. Middle click rename could be another option.

Again, this issue is a major annoyance and needs urgent attention from my point of view.

Thanks,
David.P

You do all realise that if you hit the DEL key whilst in inline rename - you can just hit ESC to bring back the filename. That way at least you don't have to retype the name.

I doubt the behaviour is different on purpose. It's just something that Jon presumably didn't realise that Explorer did and nobody pointed out was different until now. It's probably been like that in Opus since 2001.

I filed a request earlier to ask for it to be made consistent with Explorer.

[quote="tanis"]You do all realise...[/quote]Yes.

Did you mention it before now? Things like this won't get fixed if they don't get pointed out. :slight_smile:

No. :sunglasses:

I've only been using DOpus for a couple of weeks and this is the only major annoyance that I've come across. Then endless tabs that get created when I access different folders is an annoyance, but not in the league of this one.

Yes, Tanis, I did realise, but thanks for the tip anyway.

Nudel, any ideas when a patch might be released to fix the rename problem?

Que? No tabs get created unless you specifically configure it to do so.

Here's the thread: [Can Directory Opus Be Forced To Reuse The Same Folder Tab?) (It's about new tabs being made when you double-click stuff in a Locked tab, and the idea of having a temporary tab.)

You're asking the wrong person but I imagine it depends what else Jon is working on for the next update and what other issues come up over the next few days. For now, just click the file display border to activate the file list.

You bad nasty geniuses must have implememented remote acess and maintenance in Dopus v.9! :open_mouth:

How else could it be that one hour after uttering a wish for the first time ("get rid of the rename by mouse click altogether") this has been accomplished in my copy of dopus - without any download or even restart! :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :open_mouth:

I can't rename any files anymore by mouse click! Only F2 still works. GREAT! How on earth have you done that?

David.P

Did you change view modes or change your mouse driver's double-click time? Certain combinations seem to stop the mouse from triggering inline rename mode (which is what this thread is all about...).

I played around a little with the "select entire row" setting in Dopus, and clicked a couple of times on the file display border (good tip btw).

That was about all I did... :sunglasses:

Anyway, I hope Dopus keeps that behaviour,

David.P

Opus 9.0.0.2 now only triggers inline rename when you click the filename and not when you click the icon, as requested.

Full list of changes here: [Directory Opus 9.0.0.2)