Directory opus 9 uninstall and 10 upgrade issue:

Directory opus 9 uninstall and 10 upgrade issue:

I attempted to upgrade from version 9 to version 10.

Upon my attempt to upgrade i get the following message:

dialog heading
Feature transfer error
Feature: Program Files
File:
Error: Access is denied.

Next, I decideded to uninstall Directory Opus and try to reinstall it.
However, I could not uninstall Directory Opus because there is no entry for it in Add Remove Programs.

Why? Because there is no entry in add remove Programs for "GPS Software" or for "Directory Opus"

Can you suggest how I might resolve this.

Thank you!

Kenneth Cox

Please see the second item in the Problems installing Opus FAQ.

(I edited out your registration details, email address and phone number. Remember this is a public forum which anyone can read.)

the first issue is that i can not uninstall Directory opus.... there is no instance of it in add remove programs

as to the error message i get when attempting to install Version 10 without uninstalling version 9 I looked at the item you suggested that appears to be relating to windows xp... please note: i am running windows 7
i verified permissions on the public desktop and I have full permissions and even after i ran a Take Ownership function i still get the same error message.

Until I can solve the uninstall Directory Opus issue i think all other issues might be unsolvable

P.S. thanks for the sensitive information edit
Kennerh

You don't need to uninstall version 9 before installing version 10. (If the uninstall item isn't there then it has probably been uninstalled already.)

Nothing in the guide is specific to Windows XP. Where it says:

The Public Desktop (All Users Desktop on Windows XP)

That means:

The Public Desktop, on newer versions of Windows;
The All Users Desktop, on Windows XP.

I've reworded the FAQ slightly to clarify this.

If Directory Opus is still runs when I boot the machine and if the Directory Opus File Manager still opens then it seems to me that it is NOT uninstalled. And, It "IS" still running as a substitute for Windows Explorer.

The first thing I want to accomplish is to UNINSTALL Directory Opus 9. Because.... Clearly something is corrupt in connection with Directory Opus on my machine. SO, I want to uninstall it. Basically I want to Nuke/Clean Directory Opus from my machine completely. So please, let's address the uninstall issue first.

Then after I successfully manage to uninstall Directory Opus 9 I will try to do a fresh Clean Install.

As to the other issue of upgrading and receiving the aforementioned error message....
I have tried to run all of the following installations to no avail.
I have several previous versions: 9.1, 9.5, 9.5.1.0, 9.5.2.0, 9.5.3.0, 9.5.4.0, 9.5.5.0 and currently running 9.5.6.0
I have also tried to run the following installations to no avail.
I also have versions: 10.0.0.0 and 10.0.1.0

I read part two of the article you recommended. I have full permissions and my user account is that of Administrator. with full access.

There are NO Directory Opus Icons on any of the User Desktops nor are there any on the All Users or the Public Desktops.

There was 1 shortcut pinned to Quick Launch which I removed and I still get the aforementioned error message.

Thank You fort your support.
Kenneth

System restore?

Might get you back to before your first attempts to install Dopus 10.

Sounds like something got mashed when you tried that.

To manually uninstall:
[ul][li]How to manually remove Explorer Replacement settings.[/li]
[li]Check for an Opus shortcut under the Start Menu / Startup folder.[/li]
[li]Check for Opus entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.[/li][/ul]

Thank you for the manual remove Explorer Replacement function but, I already know how to remove the Explorer Replacement configuration. i only mentioned that to illustrate that to illustrate that Directory Opus is not UNINSTALLED from, my system... even though there is no entry for it in the Add remove programs interface

As to using System Restore to fix something or roll back to a previous state, that is not an option because my attempt to upgrade to version 10 was over a month ago and system restore would undo/roll back too many other software installation and update events and system restore would undo/rollback too many configuration changes that have occurred since then as well.

What I want to accomplish now is to UNINSTALL Directory Opus 9. that is..... Basically I want to Nuke/Clean Directory Opus from my machine completely.

I'm not really sure what you're asking for. The three things I gave should remove all parts of the Opus installation that matter, other than the obvious of deleting the program files directory.

Have you tried doing them, and then deleting the Program Files dir? Do you still get an install error? If so it may not be related to the Opus 9 installation at all.

Another thing you could try is reinstalling Opus 9, then using the uninstaller.

AS PER YOUR RESPONSE: leo » 04 Mar 2013, 12:06

aTHREE PARAGRAPH RESPONSE:

PARAGRAPH ONE: I'm not really sure what you're asking for.

I am asking that you/Directory Opus provide a method to completely REMOVE/UNINSTALL Directory Opus.

The suggestions you made as I understand are:

1. How to manually remove Explorer Replacement settings.

This step does not UNINSTALL anything.
This step in short merely provides/suggests a method to configure Directory Opus from Replacing Explorer.

The title of this FAQ/Forum Topic is: How to manually remove Explorer Replacement settings. (NOT MANUALLY UNINSTALL)

Turning off Explorer Replacement
Bullet 1 of this step: f you want to keep Opus installed but don't want it to replace Explorer.
(assuming this applies to any version of Directory Opus)

Directory Opus 9 & 10
Bullet 2 of this step if you do not want to use Opus anymore, uninstall it. The uninstaller will remove the Explorer Replacement settings automatically.
(the uninstaller does not work and that is why i have contacted SUPPORT... to resolve the broken uninstaller)
(it does not work because there is no entry for Directory Opus or GPS Software im my Add Remove Programs Index/List.)
(which I mentioned in my opening this topic on 04 Mar 2013, 03:44)
(clearly this applies to Directory Opus 9 & 10)

Directory Opus 8
Parts 1 - 4 seem to be a method to RESET EXPLORER REPLACEMENT not UNINSTALL Directory Opus.

1. Check for an Opus shortcut under the Start Menu / Startup folder.
    This step does not UNINSTALL anything.
    This merely provides instruction to locate an ICON but does not say what to do once found.
    (I assume so one can DELETE the ICON.)

2. Check for Opus entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
    This step merely provides instruction to locate the registry entry that STARTS Directory Opus when Windows starts. but does not say what to do once found.
    (I assume so one can DELETE the REGISTRY ENTRY.)

PARAGRAPH TWO: Have you tried doing them, and then deleting the Program Files dir? Do you still get an install error? If so it may not be related to the Opus 9 installation at all.

YES!!!
I did all of what YOU suggested long before contacting SUPPORT all of these steps FAILED TO RESOLVE the problems i am encountering.

PARAGRAPH THREE: Another thing you could try is reinstalling Opus 9, then using the uninstaller.

In my reply to this Topic at: » 04 Mar 2013, 09:24

I stated:

I have tried to run all of the following installations to no avail.
I have several previous versions: 9.1, 9.5, 9.5.1.0, 9.5.2.0, 9.5.3.0, 9.5.4.0, 9.5.5.0 and currently running 9.5.6.0
I also have versions: 10.0.0.0 and 10.0.1.0

Which begs the question... Are you really reading what i am posting?
I assure ou that I am reading every word you are posting and am trying have or have tried all of your suggestions.
Which by the way, other than suggesting my using Add Remove Programs "UNINSTALL" suggestion NONE of your recommendations/suggestions have provided and alternative to Add Remove Programs UNINSTALL.
Historially software used to come with an UNWISE.EXE file that would UNINSTALL that software. There is no such file in the Directory Opus folder under Program Files.

So, again, I am asking that you/Directory Opus provide some method other than Add Remove Programs UNINSTALL to completely REMOVE/UNINSTALL Directory Opus.

Please
Thank You
Kenneth

There's no other method, sorry.

The FAQ we've already pointed you to addresses all the known installation issues.