DO suddenly very slow to display folders

I have been trying Dopus for a couple of weeks, it is superb, makes windows a usable OS!

However, suddenly when I go to a folder with many sub-folders they appear in the left pane of the lister one at a time. Often there is a delay of a second or two between each folder appearing.
I have made no software or hardware changes to cause this. One day it was great, the next day very slow.
Please help.
Thanks.

Is it a folder with a lot of large .exe installers or .zip etc. installer archives?

If so, that is probably your antivirus causing huge delays when Opus requests the icons for those files. In particular, Microsoft's antivirus has huge problems in this department.

Thanks for the reply.
No, they are folders of audio files; mp3 and ogg mainly. I googled this problem and as a result I disabled, then uninstalled my anti-vi, this made no difference...

It could be caused by particular files in the folder, or by a shell extension.

If it happens in all folders, not just ones with the same types of files, then it is most likely a shell extension.

ShellExView can be used to list and disabled installed shell extensions on the machine to see if any are involved. Details are in this guide:

The guide focuses on crashes, but most of it also applies to slow-downs.

Checking if any process has high CPU usage in Task Manager is also a good idea. If there is high CPU usage, there are further things we can do to diagnose where it's coming from.