DO11: Update Tips

@blueroly---music, vids, ebook... that makes sense.

This brings home how lame my life has been in the past few years---haven't had to deal with audio files, apart from audiobooks.

Let's talk vids. What's on your toolbar?
For vids I don't have a toolbar, but a few shortcuts:

• open file with MediaInfo (gives you all the metadata that's missing in Opus)
  • open file with MkvMerge (awesome to mux subtitles etc into h264 files)
  • open with VLC (not my default player)
    Also a setting to give files a special icon if they're above a certain rating (specified in the file name)
    The shortcuts live in my Prefs button / Custom shortcut repository / Open with

I have one general purpose toolbar with functions such as Toggle Tree, Save this lister (optionally as default), Open Start Menus in Opus, Open Control Panel, Open Find layout, Backup my config, etc. It resides between my dual horizontal layout windows in my default layout.

Apart from that, I have left the rest alone as issued, with one exception, I have added a Drives dropdown to each of the File Display Border toolbars, just after the breadcrumb field.

You can access drives directly from the breadcrumbs field itself...

Regards, AB

I added a button to go to the desktop, since I use that a lot.

I've also given it a right-click menu with a small number of drives and folders that I access really frequently. I prefer using it to the breadcrumbs menu and favourites as it's a bigger mouse target than the breadcrumbs menu and it only has the handful of things I want. (I still go into the other menus for things I use less frequently.)

Hmm, thinking about it, I might move the whole Favourites menu into this as a sub-menu to save some space. I use Favourites more as a way to keep track of folders I need once a month that are in obscure places it takes me time to find otherwise, so moving it an extra click away to save space is probably a good trade-off for me.

@Leo: Which arrow-icons/iconset you're using (they're not the default ones or from a set I know)?

I think they are from the Directory Opus 10 XP Icons set that Cris made.

I'm not totally happy with the blue or green icons on the darker blue background (and tighter margins) of the file display toolbar, but haven't got around to trying other alternatives. The green ones show up a bit better but I think the best thing may be just having arrows without the circles. I haven't tried that yet, though, so I don't know if it will work as well as I think.

I'm really excited about @set and @toggle, and look forward to seeing these commands develop through the beta.

Here's a nice button I'm using that toggles if my lister is set to anything other than "sort by filename". It's helpful when in thumbnail mode where it's easy to get confused about how files are being sorted. One click on the button and sorting by filename is restored. I actually use it as a "sort by" menu button. Handy!

Set SORTBY=name @toggle:if !SORTBY=name

I was going to say that you don't need @toggle for that, but then I noticed you're reversing the toggled state there so it makes sense.

FWIW, there is a similar button (along with ones to sort by Modified date and Shooting date) on the default Thumbnails toolbar, since we felt the same. It was always a pain to change how thumbnails mode was sorted before, plus the space that the thumbnails size slider took up on the normal toolbar, so it's great to have an extra toolbar that can appear when in thumbnails mode but not use up space in details mode.

I have another suggestion, for which i don't want to open an extra thread: in addition to the automatic toolbars for view modes, what about some path triggered automatic toolbars?
So, the path bars would show only, when entering a specified path/directory. That would be useful, if those toolbars are only needed for new entries in the photos/music/movies department, for which
i have special folders.

You can do that already. It's the 4th item at the top of the release notes:

Thanks, Leo. This is another mighty new function! :opussanta:

At first I wasn't too excited about the new toolbar functionality, but I'm starting to realize how amazing it's going to be when I get everything set up. I can clean my main toolbars of all filetype-dependent commands, and just create special toolbars for working with images, videos, audio, etc., and have them come and go exactly when I need them. Pretty neat!

If you're like me and you connect your PC to your LCD TV, you know how hard it can be to navigate your files from your sofa without binoculars.

Introducing TV Mode, letting you easily find and open files without leaving your easy chair!

This button turns off all columns but filename and thumbnail, and bumps up the font size to 200%. Clicking it again resets everything back to normal!

First, you need to set up a folder format called Thumbnail that sets your lister to show just the Thumbnail and Filename columns, like this:

Then use this code in a button:

Set FONTSCALE=100,200 @ifset:$glob!:TVMode @set glob!:TVMode SET FORMAT=Thumbnail @ifset:else @set glob!:TVMode=1 SET FORMAT=!default

Ain't it pretty!

To me, that has a lot of potential.
By default, this is /buttons/File Display.dop, right?
I see that you can assign any other dop file to that file display border toolbar through Prefs / File Display / Borders.

This means we can share these file display border toolbars!

That sounds a lot like huge mode. We're on the same track with that.
:slight_smile:

Huge Mode :smiley:

On a different note I've been thinking about the new ability to toggle toolbars based on filetypes and folder formats. I started making an "audio" toolbar, but when I realized I only had 3 buttons I really wanted on it, I got kind of sad.

Then I realized I can just duplicate my main toolbar and call it Main (Audio), then add those three buttons. I can save a toolbar set with Main (Audio) instead of just Main, and let DOpus trigger that set when it sees audio files. This will essentially let us trigger specific buttons based on paths or filetypes, just by duplicating our primary toolbars and adding a few buttons here and there. Cool :sunglasses:

This leads to a question that has been on my mind:
On a toolbar, is it possible to create buttons that only appear when a certain file type is selected?
This would get rid of the problem of duplicating toolbars and adding three buttons that newguy mentioned.
It's fine the first time, but if you need to duplicate each time you change the main toolbar... That gets old.

For my part, I too feel that my main toolbars do most of what I need in most cases, but that for certain file types (pic, audio, vid) I could add a few buttons.

Now that the location bar can be removed from the main toolbars, there's a lot of real estate for buttons to "pop in" depending on file type.

[quote="playful"]@blueroly---music, vids, ebook... that makes sense.

This brings home how lame my life has been in the past few years---haven't had to deal with audio files, apart from audiobooks.

Let's talk vids. What's on your toolbar?
For vids I don't have a toolbar, but a few shortcuts:

• open file with MediaInfo (gives you all the metadata that's missing in Opus)
  • open file with MkvMerge (awesome to mux subtitles etc into h264 files)
  • open with VLC (not my default player)
    Also a setting to give files a special icon if they're above a certain rating (specified in the file name)
    The shortcuts live in my Prefs button / Custom shortcut repository / Open with[/quote]
    My video toolbar is similar. Links to VLC, MPC and Handbrake, plus a few rename and move commands and ratings. I'd like to add commands to open a video file with Handbrake and convert it via the command-line but that's for another day.

[quote]My video toolbar is similar. Links to VLC, MPC and Handbrake, plus a few rename and move commands and ratings. I'd like to add commands to open a video file with Handbrake and convert it via the command-line but that's for another day.
[/quote]

MPC for frame-by-frame control, good call.
For Handbrake, haven't found an idea for a shortcut yet. Your shortcut opens a VIDEO_TS folder, not individual files, right?
Ratings... within the file? Interesting idea. On my end I use a naming convention with ratings at the top, e.g. 7.5 Some Movie (2013).mkv
Renaming commands: ditto.
=> lots.of.dots to "lots of dots"
=> sometext S01E23 someothertext to 01x23
You?

[quote="aussieboykie"]...
You can access drives directly from the breadcrumbs field itself...

Regards, AB[/quote]
...and a lot more besides. Thanks @AB