DO12.2: Grouping by column and overriding it

I have a Downloads folder (G:#DOWNLOADS) which has a folder format applied to it (and only to it).
The format sorts and groups all files by Date created > descending so the newest ones appear on top.
My default folder format has no group column specified and a different set of columns.

The problem arises when I navigate to a sub-folder of Downloads - a strange mish-mash occurs.
The columns are replaced with the ones from the default (custom) folder format but at the same time the view is still grouped and the header shows Unspecified (grouped ascending by unknown column). If I set the subfolder's view to ungrouped from the context menu it remembers that for the current session until opus is restarted.

As a side effect sometimes pasting from clipboard, be it an image or text, causes Opus to crash ONLY when the view is grouped and the unspecified header is there.

I somehow doubt this persisting grouping is intentional behavior. Could it be a configuration problem on my side?
Is it possible to force NO GROUP override for the default or any arbitrary folder format?

Thanks in advance.

Are there crash dumps generated for the crash? Please zip & email them to leo@gpsoft.com.au if there are.

Using a wildcard format matching G:\Downloads* or similar should allow the grouping to be turned off explicitly for subfolders.

If the default format has no group specified it should override. I see no point to preserve grouping if the columns don't exist or are irrelevant inside the subfolders.
I have other more complex situations and I gave the downloads case as just an example. Setting explicit rules just to disable grouping for each of those is frankly not an option for me. You can see the configuration in the screenshots.

Crashes don't happen often enough to reproduce properly so it could just be a coincidence. I've sent the latest crash dump.

In your folder format for the #DOWNLOAD folder, do you have the Use as the default format for all sub-folders option turned on on the Options tab?

If that's turned off, then when you go into a sub-folder of #DOWNLOAD the format should reset back to the user default. It does here when I try it.

It's enabled and grayed out for the "default format" but unchecked for the #DOWNLOAD one.
Also adding a wildcard format as Leo suggested for G:#DOWNLOAD* does not nothing at all as it isn't applied.

It does reset to the default format but grouping is inherited somehow which should not be the case.

What does it say if you hover over the padlock when you're in a child folder?

It says the current folder format comes from Default Format.

Going inside a child folder > ungrouping and RE-saving as default format seems finally did the trick.
The problem must have come when I first saved the default format.
If the view was grouped by a custom column at that point and it wouldn't find that column anymore it would display no group in the options Group box but would attempt to group by it anyway with no way to clear it except to re-save it.