DOpus 11

Hi

I have windows 8.1 on an Alienware computer. About a week ago, DOpus stopped working it won't open a lister. It had to be uninstalled. One day it was working just fine then the next it just stop responding. A re-installation made no changes. Can someone help me get Opus back up and running?

Sincerely
Richard Linde

What are the symptoms when you try to open a lister? Does anything happen, like an error message, or any windows appearing at all?

What happens if you run Opus via the Start Menu?

What happens if you create an empty folder on the desktop, right-click it, then choose Open in Directory Opus?

Frankly, I'm in the dark. DOpus stalls. After a few seconds, your program is not responding appears on its title bar. It takes a while for even the DOpus window to open. I didn't try opening it from the start menu. Actually, there's nothing to do since Directory Opus is inaccessible. It was uninstalled so that I could access my programs. Well, I guess that I will just have to get by w/o it for a bit. Thanks for the comment all the same.

If you want to, you can reinstall Opus and turn off Explorer Replacement (Preferences / Launching Opus / Explorer Replacement / Don't replace Explorer) so that it not interact with other programs and only opens when you run it explicitly.

If you can't open Preferences the normal way, paste this line into the box at the bottom of the Start Menu and push return:

"C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /cmd Prefs PAGE=explorerrep

Trying the two things I mentioned before is then worth doing, to see if the problem only happens when opening Opus in a certain way, or when asking Opus to show a certain folder. (Crash, exit or high CPU usage when viewing certain directories covers that.)

If the problem happens for all folders, General slowdown or instability investigation steps has various suggestions which may help. The one I would try first is to make sure you do not have anything pointing to unreachable network drives in you system. That might be a drive letter that has been mapped to a computer which is no longer on the network, or it could be something added to your Opus toolbars which points to a computer that's not on the network. If it's either of those things, then the "not responding" message should last about a minute, rather than forever, which is a good indication it's that type of problem.

Yeah! It was an broken external seagate drive. So thanks Leo for getting me up and running agin.

Richard