Dopus crashing

Recently I have been experiencing crashes when Dopus starts and random crashes while it is running. The errors include...

On start up:

The error (0xc0000005) occurred in thread 'dopus_news' at address 0x0000000076E6F2D1.

and

The error (0xc0000005) occurred in thread 'dopus_lister' at address 0x0000000076E6F2D1.

While running:

Error 0xc0000005 in Thread 0x1a48 at 0x0000000076E6F2D1.

and

Error 0xc0000005 in Thread 0x1e0c at 0x0000000076E6F2D1.

I am using v11.15, on Windows 7 x64.

Have crash dumps been created matching the dates & times of the crashes?

If they have, please zip them up and email them to leo@gpsoft.com.au and we will see if they point to a bug in Opus or a 3rd party component, and advise from there.

Thank you for the crash dumps.

The crash is happening because something has corrupted the memory heap (usually by freeing the same piece of memory twice, or similar). This could be caused by Opus itself, or by a third-party component that is loaded into the dopus.exe process (e.g. shell extensions which add options to the right-click menus).

Unfortunately, it is like something leaving a banana peel on the floor that something else later trips over: The crash dumps are triggered when something innocent trips over, without saying what created the situation.

The crash dumps reveal a couple of things that may be worth checking:

[ol][li] The Microsoft Office Groove shell extensions seem to be only the non-system component that is loaded into dopus.exe in all cases. Groove's shell extensions have been known to cause problems in the past, with Windows Explorer as well as Opus, so they may be worth checking out.

Please download ShellExView and use it to disable any extension related to Groove and Office in general. I think GROOVEEX.DLL is the component name to look for, but anything mentioning Groove or Office should also be disabled as a test. (GrooveIntlResource.dll and OFFICE.ODF are also loaded into the process in your crash dumps, but I believe they are secondary things that GROOVEEX.DLL has loaded.)

After disabling those things using ShellExView, please reboot and see if the problems persist. When you are done testing, you can re-enable them in the same way, if desired.

[/li]
[li] Some of the crash dumps also indicate quite an old version of Notepad++ is installed, with its shell extension loaded into Opus. Some old versions of Notepad++ had problems in their shell extension which caused crashes, so it may be worth updating to the latest Notepad++ update. It's always possible that is causing some crashes, and another component is causing some of the others, so it would be good to rule it out.[/li][/ol]

Another thing worth doing is to open the Reliability Monitor control panel (on Windows 7, type "view reliability history" into the Start Menu and it should find it for you), then go back to when the crashes started happening (8th July, but also check a day or two before then) to see if it records any software updates or installs happening around that time. Since the crashes started happening when you were using Opus 10, which itself had not changed in a long time, they must have been introduced by some kind of change, quite possibly an update which may be recorded there.

Thanks Leo, I've uninstalled NotePad++ (wasn't using regularly anyway) and disabled Grooveex.dll. Let's see how it goes.