Dopus freezes several times a day

Hi,
since I moved to a new PC (XP 32bit) my dopus freezes several times a day on different actions.
Sometimes when scrolling in a folder but most times when selecting a new folder.
Dopus doesn't create any crash dump on that issue.
I'm SW developer too. I can create a hang dump file if you like.
Surprising for me is that I'm able to close the windows after about 20 seconds. So not the whole process seems to hang, only the content of the form doesn't repaint or act on input.

Greetings

Harry

See the FAQ about this exact issue with crashes/highCPU/etc. in particular folders. It's probably a plugin or video codec.

hi,
I already read that article.
None of those suggestions did help.
It's also no issue of an particular folder.

Harry

Have you tried disabling all 3rd party shell extensions using ShellExView and disabling all Opus viewer plugins?

Hi,
yes I disabled any non Microsoft shell ext. - No change.

Any other ideas?

Got any network drives mapped to servers which are unreachable?

Are any other programs non-responsive? Programs which stop responding to messages from Windows can other programs to freeze while they wait for broadcast messages to timeout.

Both of those things can cause odd freezes (not just in Opus) which aren't obviously related to the action you're doing at the time.

If it's not those two then I'd recommend working down the General slowdown or instability investigation steps list.

No problem of network drives , I detached them.
No, the only program freezing is Dopus, no other program hangs.
I already worked through that list.
The only thing I didn't do was using procexp to analyse and so on.

Hey it's not up to me to debug/analyze problems.
You say you give "Free lifetime priority technical support " so it's up to you to analyze this.
I can create a hang dump created with windows debug tools if you like.

Harry

This is a user-run forum. If you want to talk to tech support you should use the GPSoftware support form that's linked in my signature.

lol,
this is no forum, this is a contact form.
And I did already use it:

Subject: RE: Web Support 360020961962 : Usage

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the report. There's no known issues like this with Opus so it has to be some issue with this machine, drivers or maybe some other program on the machine.

The best thing to do is to open a message on the Dopus Resource Centre with details of exactly what you have done or do to generate the issue and what else you have running on the machine. Then we and a number of experienced users can look and see if the cause can be reproduced or identified.

If you are getting a specific Opus crash, Opus 9 creates bug reports automatically in the temporary folder - if you would be able to locate these and keep them for us if we need them to trace and to track down where in Opus the error is occurring. The temporary folder can be located using the %TEMP% environment variable (eg in Explorer, activate the address bar and enter %TEMP%). There you will find a folder Dopus.Minidumps which contain the error reports.

Perhaps you can send these to us if they exist after the issue.

Just a small side note, it's quite rude to post the contents of a private email into a public forum. Especially quoting contact numbers and email addresses. I'm sure Greg gets enough spam as it is. I've removed his signature from your post.

I notice that earlier in the thread it was suggested that you try disabling all Opus viewer plugins. There's been no reply from you saying that you'd tried that. Can you? Any difference?

[quote="binkle"]lol,
this is no forum, this is a contact form.[/quote]

This, the webpage we're both looking at now, is a user-run forum for people to talk in and help each other. (User-run as in the forum admins are part of the Opus user community, not part of GPSoftware).

The GPSoft support link goes to a form that can be filled in to send GPSoft a message.

Form vs forum aside, none of us have a magic wand that we can wave to make issues which only one person sees go away. Without access to the machine where the problem occurs all we can do is suggest things for you to try. Same with every other program or piece of hardware.

Leo,
thanks for your efforts.
And sorry for "lol", I red "forum" in your previous sentence ("....you should use the GPSoftware support form that's linked in my signature.") instead of "form".

@steve:
thanks for removing, but if Greg really likes to avoid spredding his mail address in the web he should not include it in the PAD file: http;||www_gpsoft_com|files|DOpus_pad_file.xml

Yes I disable all plugins, no change

However I'm in contact with Jonathan from GP Software now. I'll send him the hang dump file.

Thanks again.