Dopus launched as Admin at startup makes start menu useless

I've got an issue I can't figure out - I've got my preferences set up for both my admin & regular user account to not override Explorer (for troubleshooting purposes). However, when I login as my regular user account, open Dopus with my admin account upon launch, My Computer, Documents, etc... through the start menu do not work.

Is there a reason behind this functionality that I'm missing? Ideally what I want is for Dopus listers to handle all administrative functions independently and then have Explorer for non-admin tasks. Q-dir executes this flawlessly, so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks!
Karson

Forgot to add I'm running version 10.1.0.0.4570 x64...

Don't run Opus itself elevated; instead click the Admin Mode button (bottom-right of the default toolbars) to elevate an individual Opus window so that you can do admin things with it without seeing multiple UAC prompts.

Hi leo - thanks for that pointer. I'm not sure if I follow the embedded link on how to modify the admin button. Is that button referenced a new button, or a modification of the existing default button.

Thanks!

If you're using the default Opus 10 toolbars then you shouldn't need to create or modify any button; the Admin Mode button will be at the bottom right of the toolbars (below the Help menu/icon, and to the right of the Slideshow button).

[quote="leo"]If you're using the default Opus 10 toolbars then you shouldn't need to create or modify any button; the Admin Mode button will be at the bottom right of the toolbars (below the Help menu/icon, and to the right of the Slideshow button).

[attachment=0]wc1883_dopus.png[/attachment][/quote]

I understand - thanks for the pointer. However, when I've got a lister open, elevate to my admin account, I am unable to access any UNC path I know I have rights (admin) to. For example, I can open the unc path from a separate PC using that same elevated account and browse the share fine.

I've tried elevating before typing in the share path , as well as elevating after I get the Dopus popup message: "An error occurred reading folder: The specified network name is no longer available. (64)"

Any thoughts on steps that I'm missing to get correct/intended functionality?

Directory reading is done without elevation except in a few special places (although we may extend that in future).

If the elevated and unelevated accounts have totally different read permissions then my solution would be to create a network share (if there isn't one already) and then map to it (via \localhost\share) using the credentials that were being used for elevation. You can then access the same folder via two sets of credentials, depending on whether you use the share or the direct path.

Of course, anything else running under the same session then also gains access to that share, without the protections UAC provides (imperfect as they are) so whether it makes sense depends on your setup. (Of course, for full isolation between the accounts, you'd want to login under a separate session, avoiding UAC/elevation at all, but using a mapped drive does move things further down the convenience vs security spectrum, towards convenience.)