DOpus using 5GB memory

I just noticed that a lot of memory was in usage. Looking at it with Process Explorer, I see that DOpus is using about 5GB memory. I once saw it consume 10GB (I have 16GB). I assumed it was fixed in one of the newer versions, but apparently not. Is there a memory leak somewhere? For what it's worth, I only use DOpus for copying, synchronizing, and searching. That's it. Anyone else seen this? Using 5-10GB memory seems excessive. :slight_smile: Using the latest build 9.5.6.0.3937 .x64.

You've probably got a shell extension or video codec going wrong, unless you're doing something pretty out-there with Opus (like thumbnailing a million files in Flat View or something).

These may help:

blog.dopus.com/2008/07/memory-le ... ss_28.html

OK, I got a few shell extensions. I'm only showing files in detailed view, so no graphics or videos, only text. I'll take a look at those links.

Thanks !

Well, i have about 43 MBs here. This is more the average RAM usage, i think. :smiley:

Details mode can still cause codecs to be invoked, FWIW. (e.g. If you have any column which displays or tries to display information about the videos, or if you trigger a thumbnail/infotip by hoving over a file.)

If we are competing for small footprints, count me in at 23MB for dopus.exe.

If we are competing for small footprints, count me in at 23MB for dopus.exe.[/quote]

Then you surely must be using a single pane Opus. :wink:

I specifically disabled that functionality a while back, due to some error that I can't remember what was now. Anyway, hovering now gives very little info about files. I have a gut feeling for the shell extension theory. It reminded me that shell extensions may need updating too. Anyway, I'll have to look into it.

The free Microsoft/SysInternals VMMap tool is potentially useful for tracking down the cause of memory leaks.

I've just written a guide on using it to find memory leaks:

[ul][li]How to find components causing memory leaks[/li][/ul]

If we are competing for small footprints, count me in at 23MB for dopus.exe.[/quote]

Then you surely must be using a single pane Opus. :wink:[/quote]
Nope, mine is dual at 1900x1200 and 16 MB on x64! :slight_smile:

You win.

Currently 22,836 K with Dual Horizontal.

On the Sysinternals tool that Leo recommended for leak detection, there is a neat "bundling" package that assembles Sysinternals and NirSoft Utilities.

Windows System Control Center from KLS SOFT.

Much more than most people need, but a handy way to keep up to date al the same.

[quote="leo"]The free Microsoft/SysInternals VMMap tool is potentially useful for tracking down the cause of memory leaks.

I've just written a guide on using it to find memory leaks:

[ul][li]How to find components causing memory leaks[/li][/ul][/quote]

Looks very useful. I'll test it tonight and see if I can't find the culprit. Thanks Leo, your effort is very much appreciated!