Error on DOpus 10 caused by status bar

The "double path"-Toolbar does not prevent the crash to happen. It occurs immediately when I cross the upper border of the stausbar in the icon area even if the toolbar is present. When a lister or the preview window or something else is above the icon the crash does'nt happen.
I should have configured my screenshot-tool to show the mousecursor.

I've been experiencing the same issue, on start up DOpus comes up with a program error. I've configured my default lister to open to the same folder when opening, and after downloading a file from the net I started experiencing the program error. To cut a long story short the problem was the new file I'd downloaded - an .exe which appears to be malformed. I removed the file and the program error stopped.

It looks as though there are no icons in the file, and the OS is utilising the default icon.

Regards
Paul

[quote="pepg"]I've been experiencing the same issue, on start up DOpus comes up with a program error. I've configured my default lister to open to the same folder when opening, and after downloading a file from the net I started experiencing the program error. To cut a long story short the problem was the new file I'd downloaded - an .exe which appears to be malformed. I removed the file and the program error stopped.

It looks as though there are no icons in the file, and the OS is utilising the default icon.

Regards
Paul[/quote]

That sounds like a different issue. This thread is about a crash that happens when hovering the mouse over the lock icon on the status bar.

If you can provide a copy of an exe which causes the problem we can fix it. (But if you haven't already, check with the latest beta version as it may have been fixed already. We addressed some bugs in this area in the beta versions and those fixes haven't made it into the non-beta versions yet.)

Thanks for the screenshots & description, they help eliminate a lot of the unknowns.

I'm still not able to repro the crash, but if it involves the tree then it might be something we fixed by accident in 10.0.0.3 (link in my sig), as there are some changes to how the tree is drawn in the new beta.

Do you still get the crash with 10.0.0.3?

If you do, and you have time, could you backup your configuration (Settings -> Backup & Restore), then do a full uninstall & reinstall of Opus and see if the crash still happens for you with a completely default config? (After doing that test, you can restore your config backup to get back to normal.)

If it still happens with 10.0.0.3, and even with a default config, then maybe triggering it requires a specific version of Windows and/or graphics card/drivers. If so, let me know what you're using and I'll see if I can test on a similar setup.

Hi leo,
I did everything you suggested. The crash also happens with version 10.0.0.3 and with a fresh install without changing anything in settings (not even the "hide folder-structure-header" or moving the formatlock-icon to the left side)! So it's very obvious now that it has noting to do with the foldertree. The crash always happens when I move the cursor into the tooltip-popup. It doesn't happen if I stay in the icon area until the popup disappeared or move the cursor away from the popup. I also tried to exit all processes which aren't essential for the System (e.g. the little tool providing the extra-Buttons you can see in my Title-bar) without success.
Here's a screenshot of "Speccy" showing my Hardware:

Can you try turning off WindowBlinds as well?

The Nvidea driver version I currently use is "266.58_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_whql.exe". I'm not really happy with this. I tried a bunch of other versions because I had (and have) some trouble with my TV-Application "DVBViewer" and the Tray-Menu of "TVBrowser" which often leaves some "leftovers" of the menu on the screen.
I used "Phyxion.net Driver Sweeper" the last time I changed the driver.

@jon:
I don't use WindowBlinds. The only Stardock software I have is ObjectDock but I currently don't use it because it also makes trouble together with TVBrowser. I currently use a DOpus docked floating Toolbar instead :wink: .
The Theme you see is a modded Basic Theme downloaded from DeviantArt which uses a modified "Aero.msstyles".

I tried the "Windows Classic" Theme which doesn't use the modded "Aero.msstyles" to see if the crash is triggered by this but the crash continues to happen.

The error happen when: I go over the padlock icon and wait for the tooltip(nothing more). The tooltip comes out, then I move the cursor up. (to the DOpus window)

If I move the cursor to the taskbar, then to DOpus, nothing happens.

If I go over the icon, and pressed the icon(to lock the format or viceversa), nothing happens.

Can you PM me a crash dump (Crash dumps for bug reports) from 10.0.0.3 please?

instigator & kundal,

I've sent you both private messages with a test version that I hope will help track this down.

Kundal, what's the tool you're using that adds the extra gadgets in the window titlebars? If it's easy to disable, could you see if it is related to the crash in any way? (Try the test version first in case it fixes the crash by itself.)

From the crash minidump it looks like the crash is happening inside the tooltip itself (in code that is part of Windows), and would only happen if the mouse was moved across the tooltip as it closed. (i.e. If you're using a maximized lister, or one near the bottom of the screen, then the tooltip will appear above the status bar and moving the mouse up towards the tree, and into the tooltip, is somehow triggering the crash. I was always testing with the tooltip appearing below the window; however, even changing that I still cannot reproduce the crash myself so far...)

Hi leo,
I've sent vou a PM with the Logfile of Debug-View. The crash also happens with the testversion of dopus.exe you sent me.
When I created the logfile the tool you mentioned was not running. It's "4t Tray Minimizer". It doesn't seem to be related to the crash. As I said in another post above I already tried to exit all running processes which are not essential for the System (including several svchost-processes until Windows died :slight_smile: ) with no success.

I've spent several hours looking at this but I still cannot cause it to crash or see anything that might cause a crash in the code, even concentrating on what the logs show.

All I can think of, which I haven't been able to try, is it's something to do with the modified Aero.msstyles, since you can't use a modified version without modifying system DLLs. It's possible the DLL modification has caused a problem, I guess. (Even when using the Classic theme, the DLL is still modified, I think?)

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. I've tried everything I can think of but still never see a crash.

Hold the press...

I've just managed to reproduce it on another machine. No idea why it happens there but not here, but at least now I can experiment.

Update: It only happens when the machine is accessed via Remote Desktop. Knowing that, I can now repro it on my main computer.

Update 2: It only happens if the Windows "fade or slide ToolTips into view" setting is turned off. That explains the Remote Desktop aspect.

Hi leo:

I can confirm this! After changing this setting the crash is gone.

I've fixed the problem and sent you both PMs with a new test dopus.exe.

The fix will be included in the next beta version (should be this weekend) so it's up to you if you want to wait for that or use the test version I've sent.

Thanks for fixing this! The test version you sent me via PM is working for me.

Excellent!

Thanks very much to both of you for your patience & help tracking this down.

It's much fun to help making DOpus a little bit more perfect or help other users to create exotic Button Codes.
Sometimes it's more exciting for me than solving difficult riddles in an adventure game. :smiley:

[quote="leo"]Excellent!

Thanks very much to both of you for your patience & help tracking this down.[/quote]

Thanks to you. It work OK for me now.
Again thanks.