False alarm. (Was: Don't Install 9.17 unless...)

I have installed it twice and it crashes my C drive.

If you want to try it, make sure you have a backup image. Are all software companies not doing Quality Control anymore.

Very disappointing!!

Given that 9.1.1.7 has been out for five days and you're the first to mention a problem here, I doubt it was what caused your problem.

I've installed 9.1.1.7 on three machines (Vista 32, Vista 64, XP 32) plus a fourth virtual machine (Win2k 32) without problems, too.

Please investigate fully before blaming Opus!

It's entirely possible your drive failed and then couldn't boot Windows when you rebooted. I've had that happen in the past.

There isn't really anything Opus, or the Opus installer, could physically do to corrupt a drive or physically damage a drive.

One thing that's worth a try is installing 9.1.1.6 (or whichever version you last used) to see if the same problem happens. I assume you've got a backup to try intstalling on as you say your C-drive crashed twice.

If you just restore the backup and then reboot twice, does that work? How do you know it's the 9.1.1.7 installer causing the problem? Also, what do you mean exactly by "crashes the C drive?"

Finally, check that the installer has a valid digital signature from GP Softrware: Right-click it, go to Properties, Digital Signatures, select the signature and then click Details and ensure it says the signature is OK. If not then maybe the version you installed came from somewhere else and has a virus.

Dang, I really wanted to crash my computer but I can't get 9.1.1.7 to do it.

Yeah, nothing wrong with Dopus 9.1.1.7, I upgraded without any problems at all, just like always.

Either problems with your Windows installation or some other broken program/virus.

And if it "crashed" your drive, I assume you had to reinstall Windows..? What other programs did you install before installing Dopus on the new Windows install?

What an alarmist claim... I expect most "power users" interested in Opus in the first place would think things through a bit more before making such enflamatory remarks.

I'm curious if you're a registered user or not... if you are, I'm real sorry you had such a problem - but like every one else here I've installed it several times, on two laptops, one PC, and in a few virtual machines for testing.

Some questions:

• where did you download the installer?
  • did you check the digital signature like Leo suggested?
  • what is the md5 checksum of the installer you've downloaded (mine shows fb7a023a4c48488004e57aea527a9556)?
  • you didn't really explain what happens/how... like Leo, I don't know what "crashes my C drive" means. What exactly happened, and did it happen during you running the "installer" - or did your problem happen after installing it and trying to run it?

Wonder if he sees 'dancing cats too'... :wink:.

[quote="steje"]What an alarmist claim... I expect most "power users" interested in Opus in the first place would think things through a bit more before making such enflamatory remarks.

I'm curious if you're a registered user or not... if you are, I'm real sorry you had such a problem - but like every one else here I've installed it several times, on two laptops, one PC, and in a few virtual machines for testing.

Some questions:

• where did you download the installer?
  • did you check the digital signature like Leo suggested?
  • what is the md5 checksum of the installer you've downloaded (mine shows fb7a023a4c48488004e57aea527a9556)?
  • you didn't really explain what happens/how... like Leo, I don't know what "crashes my C drive" means. What exactly happened, and did it happen during you running the "installer" - or did your problem happen after installing it and trying to run it?[/quote]

Please excuse my inflammatory remarks. It was a bad day and late, but that is no excuse for blaming GPS. I have been a registered and happy user for several years. I installed over 9.16. I have never had a problem installing updates in the past. To further explain what happened:

I am using XP SP3. It installed OK until I rebooted. Then when I rebooted, the system hung up and stopped as it was loading some of my startup programs. The mouse would not work, CTL, ALT, DEL would not work, Process Explorer would not work and I could not restart from the Start Menu, thus I was very frustrated. I had to restore using ShadowProtect to get my system back each time.

After several hours, I tracked down the problem. I have been using Mamutu Behavior Based Malware Blocking from Emsi Software. After uninstalling it, Dopus installed correctly.

Thanks for providing your md5 checksum which confirmed I had the right download.

:blush:

Thanks for the update. If anyone else reports the same problem we can ask if they're using Mamutu as well.

I've renamed the thread to avoid causing any panic.

It'd be worth reporting your experiences to the Mamutu developers so that they can fix the problem and avoid it happening to anyone else.

It's a vicious circle... Steve and Leo often trash the firewall apps out there for this, but it seems to happen a fair bit with the anti-spyware/virus apps there as well.

Glad you puzzled it out...