File collections - stupid question or

File collections looks like a very nice feature.

I have added some files and folders, but thought they were treated as shortcuts.

However, very surprised to see file sizes of 500-600 Kb when I have dragged an application to a file collection, or its equivalent short cut 2.18 Kb or a folder (15 Gigabytes in properties),

Can anyone definitively confirm thta adding a file or folder is only creating a shorcut or in the case of the 15 Gb folder that this is a shortcut and not a physical copy of the folder.

I am worrried if I delete something from the Collection, it will be physically deleted.

Brian

The files are not actually stored in the Collection. Think of a collection as the results of a Search. You do not move or copy the files to the search results, you merely are viewing the file's attributes through the search results. The files are still physically located where they were before you ran the search.

Now if you search for a file and delete it from the search results (with the regular delete command), you are actually deleting it from its physical location. This is why there is a separate command (below) for safely removing a file from a collection that does not delete it from its actual physical location.

Delete REMOVECOLLECTION

Files copied to a collection take up no additional file space. It's just a list of files that are stored elsewhere.

Thank you Kenalcock. That clarifies it for me.

So collections can be removed from the Left pane without deleting anything, but removing from the conents of the collection in the right pane would physically remove the folers of files selected.

If you ahve a collection in LEFT PANE, which comprises various folders and files in the right pane, you cannot remove them from the right pane withoput delteing the underlying files.

So If I want to modify the contents of a collection, it is better to create a new collection with what I want as there is now way to remove conents from a collection.

Brian

1 Like

PHPBB_IMPORT_WARNING CODE_NEAR_LI

First off, it does not matter which pane anything is listed in. So I'm first going to define the things that can be listed:[ul][li] The Collections List - This is a list of all the collections you have created in Opus. This list is accessible from any of the following: the Folder Tree, by entering "Coll://" in the Lister Path Field, or via the raw command Go PATH="Coll://".[/li]
[li] A Collection - A list of files that are physically located elsewhere on your system. For example, Search Results is a collection which contains all of the items that you just searched for.[/li]
[li] A Folder - the actual physical location of the files.[/li][/ul]Now let's re-frame your questions using these definitions and then get you accurate answers.

Q: Can a collection be removed (deleted) from the Collection List without deleting the folders and files where they are actually physically stored?

A: Yes you can safely delete any collection from the Collection List, without losing any of the folders or files the collection contained. The collection as a whole is just like an address list of objects that are stored elsewhere. If you delete the address list, you do not delete the objects.

Q: Does deleting a folder or file, selected in a listed collection, physically remove the actual folder or file from its physical storage location?

A: It depends on how you do it.

Think of the contents of a collection just like the search results of the Windows Find utility. If you were to delete a file or folder from the search results of Windows Find, you would delete the actual folder or file from where it is physically located. This same destructive behavior is true in a Opus collection, if you delete a folder or file from a collection using this Opus raw command:

Delete

The raw command above is used inside the Delete button with the Red "X" icon on the default toolbar. That button, when used within a collection, will delete the actual folder or file from where it is physically located.

However, Opus also provides this raw command:

Delete REMOVECOLLECTION

This command safely removes a folder or file from a collection's contents, without deleting the actual folder or file from where it is physically located.

You can add this command to your toolbar by:[ol][li] Right-clicking any Opus toolbar and selecting Customize.[/li]
[li] Clicking the Commands Tab of the Customize dialog.[/li]
[li] Clicking on the All commands category[/li]
[li] Scrolling down to the Remove from Collection predefined command (it has a butterfly icon).[/li]
[li] Drag this button to the toolbar or menu of your choice.[/li]
[li] Exit Customize mode.[/li][/ol]This command is also assigned to the right-button function of the Delete button provided on the default toolbar.