File rename control arrows

Hello All
When using Dopus to rename files if you hold the Control button down and press the up down arrow buttons you can cycle through recently used file names. Is there any way to disable this feature? I don't know how many times I have been renaming files only to be told the filename already exists because I held the control button down a millisecond too long.

Regards

Phil

1 Like

Why are you holding the Control key down at all?

Control V = Paste
Control C = Copy

1 Like

Is there any chance this can be added as an option to disable this feature in a future update?

1 Like

Could you explain more about how the problem arises? There may be a better way to do what you're trying to do.

I am guessing that you want to pasting over the names (excluding extensions) of several files, so you're pushing F2 to start renaming, then Ctrl-V, arrow, Ctrl-V, arrow, etc. to paste over several files, and sometimes not letting go of Ctrl before pushing the arrow key? (That can be done in a way which avoids the problem, if it's that.) Or is it something else?

Yes that is what is happening. What I have is sometimes up to twenty files that need renaming in a format that matches another file in the directory so I hit F2 of the master file, hit Control-C and then arrow down to the slave file and hit Control-V before using the arrow keys to move to the next file which could either be up or down. Quite often the workflow is interrupted because I was too fast in hitting the up or down keys (or too slow in releasing the Control key). Previously it was not a problem but now Opus tries to rename the file to one that already exists. Mp3 are the master file and a text file is the slave.

Sounds like you could create a script to improve your workflow. If you can post a sample file listing and what changes you make we might be able to help create a custom script or button.

I have attached a sample directory for this issue. Basically when finished there will be a text file with the same name as the mp3.

Even if there was a script to rename the files automatically I still think this feature should be optional.

Regards

Phil

1 Like

So you're creating a bunch of empty files and then renaming them to match the MP3s that already exist?

If that's really your workflow then we could give you a button that makes those matching .txt files automatically, without you having to go down the list renaming them all by hand.

Sounds good. However sometimes there are existing text documents already named like the mp3. Will they cause a problem?

Thanks again.

Here's the button:

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none"> <label>Create Matching Text Files</label> <icon1>#newcommand</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>FileType new=.txt newname=&quot;norename:{file|noext}&quot; </instruction> </function> </button>

See here for how to add it to your toolbar.

If a text file already exists it will still create a new one, with a sequentially increasing number added to the end of the name. You can delete these afterwards if desired.

Hello Jon
Thanks for the code but all it does is creates a file called norename.

Regards

Phil

Select the .mp3 files in question before clicking the button.

Thanks Jon works fine now.

Can I still put in a feature request for the control arrows cycling to be optional? I have other reasons for it to be disabled.

Regards

Phil

1 Like