Filter out desktop.ini

the file 'desktop.ini' appears in most every folder (if not all). is there some way to hide the file, some filter, so i never see it?

You can either hide all files with the "Hidden" attribute, as shown here or explicitly hide desktop.ini by putting it into the Hide Filter filename that's shown in the same screenshot.

This is only a temporary fix. I have to redo this every time DOpus is launched, even though I save it for all folders.

Is there a more permanent way to set a filter?

See the folder formats FAQ.

Yes, well, the settings don't hold from one Windows session to the next. There is a bug in this regard.

They definitely do hold as I've had Opus configured to filter desktop.ini on multiple machines for years now.

Did you go through your list of folder formats and ensure they all have the filter set in them?

Did you update your Default Lister and the Layouts that you use (if any), as well as any Styles which override the folder format (if any)?

If you want a really quick, one-click way to hide desktop.ini then turn on Preferences / Folders / Options: Hide protected operating system files.

That will hide all files/folders which have the H+S (hidden-system) attributes set, which includes desktop.ini files. You can hide just desktop.ini by using folder formats as I said above, but if you don't mind hiding the other H+S files then turning on the preferences option is quicker and easier.

I go into Folder Options, select Filter tab, input "desktop.ini" in the Filename field of the Hide Filter, click Apply button, Save for all folders. It works. Next time I restart the machine, the setting is not remembered.

Thanks for the help.

Read the Folder Format FAQ.

In the Folder Options,Filters,Hide Filter, try putting . on the Folders line, below the Filename line. Hope this helps.

That would hide any folders with a . in the name - how would that help?