Find a Tag via a Button

How exactly are you setting the tags in the first place? Whats the command you used to do it?

I think the only good way to do this at the moment would be a script which does the search itself.

That isn't as hard as it might sound, since Opus provides objects for recursively looping through everything below a folder & its subfolders, and the Metadata object lets you get back the list of tags for a file.

Scripts (JS & VBS) Snippet: Enumerating files and metadata tags is a good starting point.

@nodeselect SetAttr META "tags:{dlgstring|Enter New Tag}"

[quote="leo"]I think the only good way to do this at the moment would be a script which does the search itself.

That isn't as hard as it might sound, since Opus provides objects for recursively looping through everything below a folder & its subfolders, and the Metadata object lets you get back the list of tags for a file.

Scripts (JS & VBS) Snippet: Enumerating files and metadata tags is a good starting point.[/quote]
Thanks for the pointer, Leo, although I think you overestimate my skill set!

I'll give it a go.

Another follow-up to this: In addition to the code previously mentioned, I also use Kundal's Tagger script and, on occasion, do it manually through the Edit Metadata dialog.

[quote="leo"]I think the only good way to do this at the moment would be a script which does the search itself.

Scripts (JS & VBS) Snippet: Enumerating files and metadata tags is a good starting point.[/quote]
I think I'm tracking with this. ANy pointers on how to output to a DOpus collection, rather than the utility panel?

For individual items, you can run the normal copy command to add things to collections.

For adding to or replacing collections in bulk: External Manipulation of File Collections.

[quote="leo"]For individual items, you can run the normal copy command to add things to collections.

For adding to or replacing collections in bulk: External Manipulation of File Collections.[/quote]
So something like this:

Dim oShell Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.Shell") oShell.run "C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\dopusrt.exe /col create Tags" Set oShell = Nothing
Am I on the right track?

Yes, right track!

OK, clearly I am taking baby steps, so bear with me. I'm stuck referencing the active tab. How do I do it?
Here's the code I have cobbled together so far:

[code]Option Explicit

Function PadSpaceRight(str, slen)
str = CStr(Str) ' Force To String.
If (Len(str) < slen) Then
str = str & Space(slen - Len(str))
End If
PadSpaceRight = str
End Function

Function onClick(clickData)
PadSpaceRight()

Dim folderItem
Dim folderEnum
Dim activeTab
Dim tag
Dim tagString
Dim oShell

Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.Shell")
oShell.run "C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\dopusrt.exe /col create Tags"

'Identify active tab (source tab)
Set activeTab = DOpus.

'Run through active source tab
Set folderEnum = DOpus.FSUtil.ReadDir(activeTab, False)

'Add dialog here to ask for tag(s) to look for

Do While (Not folderEnum.complete)

Set folderItem = folderEnum.Next

If (Not folderItem.is_dir) Then

If (folderItem.metadata = "none") Then

tagString = "<no metadata available>"

Else

tagString = ""

For Each tag In folderItem.metadata.tags

If (tagString <> "") Then
						tagString = tagString & ", "
						tagString = tagString & tag
					Else
						tagString = tag
					End If
				Next

If (tagString = "") Then
					tagString = "<no tags>"
				End If
			End If

'Send output to utility panel	
		DOpus.Output(PadSpaceRight(folderItem + ": ",25) & tagString)
		'Add item (only identified tags that meet user dialog input.  
		'I know I didn't identify this properly.  Do I need a variable?
		oShell.run "C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\dopusrt.exe /col add Tags"

End If
Loop
Set oShell = Nothing

End Function[/code]
I also need to do the following:

1. add a dialog to ask for the tab(s) of concern
  2. limit output to only those tags identified
  3. make the Tags collection appear and have focus

I'll take all the help I can get! :thumbsup:

1. clickData.func.sourcetab gets you the active tab from an OnClick handler like you're using.

2. Dialogs and Popup Menus example.

3. I'm not sure what you mean there. How would you know which tags you will find until you've found them all? You could make the script store all the results until the end, then ask the user, and then send the wanted items to a collection. But the code isn't doing that at the moment so I'm not sure if I have understood.

4. Run the Go command from the script to go to a folder or open a new tab.

[quote="leo"]0. clickData.func.sourcetab gets you the active tab from an OnClick handler like you're using.[/quote]Leo, thanks for your assistance and patience. I do not write code for a living and have not done anything even remotely meaningful from a coding standpoint in over a decade. What little skill I had is long since lost. That said, I'm still here! So...

So my code would be:Set activeTab = clickData.func.sourcetab

[quote]1. Dialogs and Popup Menus example.

1. I'm not sure what you mean there. How would you know which tags you will find until you've found them all? You could make the script store all the results until the end, then ask the user, and then send the wanted items to a collection. But the code isn't doing that at the moment so I'm not sure if I have understood.[/quote]
    I was tracking with the dialog box itself, just hadn't got there yet. Clearly the code I posted is not going to do what I want and I need to do something else. What I want to do is call a dialog to input tag(s) for which to search, then compare those with any tagged files. I will assign a variable to dlg.input

[code]Set dlg = DOpus.Dlg

dlg.window = DOpus.Listers(0)
dlg.message = "Enter tag(s) you are searching for." & vbCrLf & "If searching for more than one, separate each with a comma."  & vbCrLf & "(for example:  photos, money, travel)"
dlg.title = Tag Search
dlg.buttons = "OK|Cancel"
dlg.icon = "question"
dlg.max = 128

ret = dlg.Show

tagSearch = dlg.input[/code]  

How do I parse tagSearch for each tag and store the values for comparison?

How do I construct the Do While (Not folderEnum.complete) sequence to loop through the active tab and compare any found tags with those supplied by dlg.input?

How do I store those that actually match in the collection?

Is this all making sense?

Like this?

oShell.run "C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\dopusrt.exe /col Go Tags"

Thanks again for your assistance and patience!

BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

Reviving an old topic upon which my EXTREMELY LIMITED scripting skills ran aground, I still for the life of me can't figure out how to search/filter tagged files via a button, especially those tagged specifically within DOpus (ie using the Tagger script).

If we could get something like this to work for all tags:

Find QUERY tags:{dlgstring|Enter tag to search for}

Otherwise, if someone has a comparable script or further advice, either would be welcomed!

I do not know whether the way I do this helps. I have thousands of images which I have tagged through Opus (caption, keywords copyright etc). I use the Microsoft indexer to index the folders where I keep the images. I then use a pretty simple script to make SQL searches of the Microsoft indexed files in Opus.

The system is unbelievably fast. I can, for instance, search for pictures taken in Spain of a beach with parasols and have the result back in under a second - and that search will include thousands of images. The Microsoft indexer is much maligned, but if you have a powerful enough machine, it works an absolute treat.

I will be happy to share the script if it is of any use. You can then amend it to your needs. I run it from a button BTW.

@auden - Thanks! I will take any help I can get.

Do you happen to tag other files/folders as well? Are you able to search for those with your script?

First of all here is the button with the VBA script on it.

Index search.dcf (7.8 KB)

This what the script interface looks like:

(sorry about the typo in Search Criteria 1 it should read Swift)

Basically the script takes what you enter as search criteria and your choices (AND NOT OR) and executes an Opus search command on those choices. (You will see the search you construct in the search box) It also tries to stop you from making the kind of AND NOT OR choices that are not valid under the SQL Microsoft search seems to use..

That means it does work with all tagged material - or as far as I have been able to try it - music tracks, mainly. It is just that the indexed material is super-fast.

This is the result of the search (when you correct the typo)

There are around 1500 images in the directory I am searching here and the one picture of Taylor Swift that matches the search criteria is returned in the blink of an eye.

Please feel free to amend the script as you wish. BTW I am no programmer so the code is probably pretty awful, but it does work - and fast.

@auden - thanks for this. Unfortunately, I can't make any sense of it or get it to work.

Do you have a lister that contains images with tags (metadata)? Is the lister active i.e. you have clicked inside the lister? If it is the the form should just load. For obvious reasons it searches only the lister you have active.

Can you see the output from the form in the search field in Opus? Can you see the metadata in your files in the Opus metadata app?

I suspect that you may not be able to see the form on your screen. Here is a version that will get around that problem. I use a high resolution screen and the display co-ordinates may be out of range on a smaller monitor.

Index search.dcf (7.8 KB)

Rest assured I have been using this script for months.

@auden - Screen resolution solved one issue. I tagged a photo with the word "test" and made sure I could see it in the metadata. When I searched using your script, it only found a file in the same lister tab with the name containing "test." It did not find the photo with the tag "test."

When you say you tagged the file "test". Which field did you put it in. Did you put it in the Opus field called tags.

Try putting a fairly obscure word in the tags field - say "cauliflower"

If you search for a tag called "test" and there happens to be a file called "test", I would expect to find both.

If you simply wanted to search the "tags" field in the metadata, I suspect you might need an entirely different script. But that rather reduces the usefulness of the idea. I often want to find images taken by the photographer "John Smith" where the subject is say "Suffolk". It works fine for me. If the metadata contains "John Smith" AND "Suffolk" it is a hit. In fact all the script does is run an Opus Find Query.

Was the file the script found called "test" the same file that had the tag "test"