Find newest file in folder / subfolder and copy it to dest

Hello,
I want to find the newest (or last edited) file in a folder and its subfolders (max. 5 sublevels) to copy it to a certain destination.
Until now I have a batch file, which copies a certain file from a certain directory to another certain directory on my usb flash drive. And I have a button in Dopus to execute it.
Is Dopus able to find the newest file for me?
Thanks a lot for help in advance.
Holger

To do that I would switch to Flat View (Mixed, No Folders) and sort by date. The newest file will be at the top of the list.

Hello Leo,
thank you for the quick answer. Yes, flat view is a really great feature. But I forgot to mention, that I want to automate the process. When I click on a button in Directory Opus the newest file, which is located somewhere in a subdirectory of a certain directory should be copied to an USB flash drive.
In a second step I want to copy this file on another computer to a ftp-folder. (It is my way of security, my workstation is not connected to the internet).
Thanks for help
Holger

You can automate putting the folder into Flat View, sorting by date, and copying the top file, e.g.:

Set FLATVIEW=mixednofolders Set SORTBY=date Select NONE Select FIRST TYPE=files Copy TO J:\Destination Set FLATVIEW=off

There's no way get the most recent file in a folder structure in a single step, however.

Thank you very much, Jon,
it works! But if I want to select the newest I have to go to the last entry of the flat view, otherwise I have to invert the sort order.
Regards

Are you using an old version of Opus? The default sort order puts newest files at the top these days, unless you've changed it intentionally.

It makes sense to me that the default sort order would put the newest files at the top -- yet I can't make Opus behave that way for me!

I have everything else working exactly the way I like it, but somewhere along the way I must have changed the default sort order to alphabetical. Where should I go to restore the default behavior?

[quote="spikowski"]It makes sense to me that the default sort order would put the newest files at the top -- yet I can't make Opus behave that way for me!

I have everything else working exactly the way I like it, but somewhere along the way I must have changed the default sort order to alphabetical. Where should I go to restore the default behavior?[/quote]
Folder Formats are what you need. The Custom format settings apply by default if no content type or other more specific settings are applied.

If you hover your mouse over the padlock icon at the bottom of your lister (next to SOURCE or DEST) you can see what settings are in play.

Regards, AB

For whatever it's worth, I think the default sort order is alphabetical, not date based.

In "folder format," I still don't see how to set the default behavior I want, which is:
-- Folder listed before files
-- Folders listed alphabetically
-- Files listed with the newest on top.

I can get the first two, but not the third!

I try setting the file sort the way I want in an Opus window, then Settings | Set as Default Lister, and it seems to work, but after exiting Opus, the file sort I wanted doesn't reappear.

I must be doing something wrong!

OK, now I've figured it out -- I hadn't noticed the "sort" column in the "Custom - Edit Format" dialog box!

Now it seems to be working perfectly...

Folder Formats: Quick Guide is the more relevant guide here.

You can set things up in the lister and then save that as the default format, without editing things in the Folder Options dialog. It's a bit easier. Although it works whichever way you do it, and you'd still go into Folder Options to save the new format.