Finding "Stuff"

I know I'm just not seeing something, but I'm having major hassles finding files/folders.

I hit Ctrl-F, I put in a string to search for in teh "Name Matching" field, (am I supposed to "always" check "use wildcards"?), click "Search inside subfolders", and then click "Find", expecting a search from the current folder, down.

I usually find nothing -- even when I know in front that what I want is one level (or more) down from where I currently am.

What the heck am I doing wrong here?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

Are the fields marked with a red arrow empty (and did you select / deselect 'Case sensitive'):

Yes...

And, for example, I ran a search for a folder named "Sites" that is a folder containing connection info for WS_FTP. I tried both "Sites" and "Sites." (period at end), but neither found me just the folder -- Websites", "Favorite Sites", "Suggested Sites", but not just "Sites".

I used this example specifically because it is a one word folder title that is contained in several places, and can show one side of what I'm saying more clearly.

Regards,
Chuck Billow

FWIW, I gave up on Opus search many months ago. It's not intuitive at all, and it never works as I expect it to, so it's utterly useless to me.

I fill in the gap with either Everything, a super-fast indexed search app, and FindMyFiles from NirSoft if I want a bit more control. Both are non-intrusive freeware apps that don't write to the registry and do not need to be installed.

[quote="newguy"]FWIW, I gave up on Opus search many months ago. It's not intuitive at all, and it never works as I expect it to, so it's utterly useless to me.

I fill in the gap with either Everything, a super-fast indexed search app, and FindMyFiles from NirSoft if I want a bit more control. Both are non-intrusive freeware apps that don't write to the registry and do not need to be installed.[/quote]

Yeah...seems strange that a file manager as decent as Opus has such blurry find function...

Oh well, thanks.
Chuck

Really nothing wrong here: :confused:

What's unintuitive about it? The way multi-folder searches work or something else?

It's worked fine for me over the years. Opus is the only thing I really use for searching, except the Find-In-Files tool within Visual Studio & TextPad.

Try using the newer Find Panel (Tools -> Find Panel) if you weren't aware of it. Most people like it better than the old standalone Find Window:

Leo:

OK, now what if ALL you wanted was "stuff" named "Sites" -- like a folder -- no extensions, no anything else but "Sites" -- no quotes.

?

Chuck

The Simple find tab always does a substring match (i.e. Sites).

(Note that the "Use Wildcards" checkbox on the Simple tab is below the "Containing text" field. It's got no relationship to the "Name matching" field.)

If you want to match an exact name, rather than a substring, use the advanced tab like this:

I think I'm beginning to see...

Thanks,
Chuck

For years I have used CTRL-F to open the FIND box, limiting search for a directory and its subdirectories by opening while positioned in a directory. Now in the CTRL-F box that opens I find that the 2nd box from the top (below the name of the directory where I opened) contains C:, and the search now includes EVERYTHING on the C drive. I have tried to manually delete the "C" and it won't allow deletion. I am using OPUS 9.1.3.0.3449.x86

When I look on a different drive (E:) it still has the C loaded and searches the C drive-- and DOPUS crashes as well.

The older OPUS worked fine with CTRL-F. Anyone know how to remove contents of the 2nd box?
Screenshot at
about-costa-rica.com/Screens ... roblem.gif

Many thanks!

Clock on the folder to maybe added accidentally and then hit the BIG RED 'X' :wink:

YES! YES! It worked. I thought the big red X actually deleted a directory (like deleting a directory in the FILE COLLECTIONS directory), so I didn't try it.

You are wonderful! I am happy again!

[This is to Leo, Admin, I'm sorry, this post is off-subject, but can you tell me how to get the folder and file icons in the Status bar that is shown in your picture of the Find Panel?
Thank you and again, sorry! :blush:)

Edit: See this thread.

omgawd does the 7z source on your desk mean we get a virtual 7z file system zomg

Yes. :slight_smile: I'm working on it.