Folder format question

I've seen other posts regarding this, but have not been able to make it work the way I would like. I know I'm doing something fundamentally wrong and/or stupid, but I can't figure out what it is.

I would like to have different folders open by default with different views, columns, etc. For example, I would like the "my pictures" folder show standard folder information - name, size, and relative size, but all folders under it showing name, size, dimension, etc.

The problem comes in with the subfolders. I can make "my pictures" and all subfolders look the same by creating a folder view and saying I want it to be used for all sub-folders. But I can't figure out how to make "my pictures" be different without the subfolders reverting to the default (general) format. I have tried setting "my pictures" to be the way I want and then saving for this folder, but as soon as I do that, all subfolders also get changed.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Ralph

Did you also read the Folder Formats FAQ: [Folder Formats: Quick Guide) ?

No, I had not seen that FAQ - changing the bottom folder to allow content type detection actually did the trick.

Thanks!