Folder size button (check Folder sizes)

Hi,

I always use DO in List mode, and I have the preference "Calculate Folder Sizes automatically..." UNCHECKED.

I have the button (which AFAIR is a DO default button) Folder Size.

<?xml version="1.0"?> Folder Size Check Folder sizes #DOpusVista:folderproperties Set VIEW=List,Details

... Now, the tip tells me "Check Folder sizes", so I thought, allthough I have the size calculations OFF by default, perhaps this button can be used as a One-Time-Only operation, but clicking the button does nothing more than would you would expect from the instructions.

... Now, onto my actual question : Is it possible to keep my current preference to NOT calculate folders by default, but having a button that will do this action only once (only when the button is clicked), so it changes to List,Details view, and will calculate the (sub)foldersizes just this one time, while leaving the preference "Calculate Folder Sizes automatically" OFF for normal operation ?

Thanks in advance.

You must have made/edited that button yourself as it has the icon from the Folder Properties command, a tooltip which suggests it gets the sizes, and a command that doesn't' get the sizes but instead toggles between List and Details modes.

Try the Get Sizes button instead. Just type that into the filter at the bottom of the Customize -> Commands tab and drag it to your toolbar to get the correct command.

Hi Leo,

It must have indeed one I made, but your proposed button "Get Sizes" does absolutely nothing when I click it ? :confused:

Here's the code :

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" icon_size="large" textcol="none"> <label>Get Sizes</label> <tip>Calculate the byte sizes of selected folders</tip> <icon1>#getsizes</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>GetSizes</instruction> </function> </button>

I have to combine both button codes, so it reads :

Set VIEW=List,Details Select ALLDIRS GetSizes
Is there any instruction so that, when I click the Getsizes button again, it will de-highlight ALL folders (selected by the button) and re-highlight the one that was highlighted before i activated this altered "GetSizes" button please ?

Thank you so much for the help !

If no folders are selected, GetSizes will get the sizes of all folders.

If some folders are selected, GetSizes will only get their sizes. (So that you don't have to waste time waiting for calculation of folders you don't care about.)

1 Like

Thanks Leo,

I little thing I find, after clicking the button :

Set VIEW=List,Details Select ALLDIRS GetSizes
... When I click the column button to sort by size, it doesn't sort the folders, only the files, is that normal behaviour please ?

It's normal if you have the indicated checkbox ticked in folder options or styles.

Thanks for the tip John,
I didn't know that this checkmark would prevent functions like sorting by size temporarily.

My default config is List mode, with normal sorting by filename.
When I click the "Get Sizes" button, which contains :

Set VIEW=List,Details Select ALLDIRS GetSizes Set SORTBY=size
With the "Keep folders sorted alphabetically" checked,
I cannot use the sortby=size function so that it will show the biggest subfolders sorted first,

When I push the button again (button becomes unhighlighted), it switches back to List mode, but it doesn't return to my default sort by filename method. I need to browse to some other folder, and then return for it to return to the default set sort order (filename).

So, All I would like the "Get Sizes" button to do is :

When pressed (activate) =

• Switch to details mode
  • Select ALLDIRS
  • Get sizes
  • Sort by size, with the biggest on top

When pressed again (deactivate) =

• Switch back to the default mode for the folder set in Folder Options. (List mode, sort by Name)

Could this be possible by altering the button please ?
Sorry for being such a pain in the ***.

EDIT: I got DO crashing (reproducible) , when I alter the button code to :

Set VIEW=List,Details Select ALLDIRS GetSizes Set SORTBY=size,desc

I can't reproduce the problem here so it might depend on something in your setup that's not in mine. Please report that crash to GPSoftware and save a crash dump for them to inspect.

Thanks, I did yesterday.