Folder Size Problem

I've noticed that the folder size does not work most of the time. If I open a folder with subfolders, all the file information appears as it should very quckly. But the folder size number will appear on one or two of the folders and that is that. changing from Power to Details view does not have any affect.

The folder size is a very useful bit of information. Is there a setting of some kind that needs to be changed to force the program to read the data?

I noticed recently that if you trigger the infotip for a folder, which (by default) causes Opus to calculate its size to show in the infotip, that seems to stop the main lister's size-calcuation as soon as it gets the results for the folder it was looking at when the infotip appeared.

Could that be what's happening for you?

I haven't filed a bug report yet as I wanted to investigate it some more and narrow it down.

[quote="leo"]I noticed recently that if you trigger the infotip for a folder, which (by default) causes Opus to calculate its size to show in the infotip, that seems to stop the main lister's size-calcuation as soon as it gets the results for the folder it was looking at when the infotip appeared.

Could that be what's happening for you?

I haven't filed a bug report yet as I wanted to investigate it some more and narrow it down.[/quote]

In detail view I waved my mouse across the folders names and for most of them it said 'scanning folder' and then displayed the folder size. But on some it would not do anything even after I right clicked and listed the folder size by showing properties.
My version is 91.1.6.3276 x86

What happens if you select the same folder and then run the Get Sizes command? (By default you can access it by middle-clicking the New Folder button on the toolbar, or via File -> File Commands -> Get Sizes.)

If nothing happens then, and Opus isn't in the middle of calculating some other folder's size, then it usually means Opus does not have access to the folder.

It could also be because the folder is an NTFS junction or link. You can tell that via the Type column. Junctions and links are ignored when calculating sizes since they typically do not take space within the drive you are looking at and will usually confuse matters if their space is considered.

[quote="leo"]What happens if you select the same folder and then run the Get Sizes command? (By default you can access it by middle-clicking the New Folder button on the toolbar, or via File -> File Commands -> Get Sizes.)

If nothing happens then, and Opus isn't in the middle of calculating some other folder's size, then it usually means Opus does not have access to the folder.

It could also be because the folder is an NTFS junction or link. You can tell that via the Type column. Junctions and links are ignored when calculating sizes since they typically do not take space within the drive you are looking at and will usually confuse matters if their space is considered.[/quote]

When I ran File Commands -> Get Sizes. the program started calculating and displaying the folder sizes as expected. there are not any NTFS permissions issues as it is only me on the the pc as admin.

I can do it manually but it would be nice in a update to make it automatic.

When you hover the mouse over the names, are you then moving it away? The size calculation is triggered because you're displaying a tooltip that contains the size (by default; this can be configured). If you cancel the tooltip then it also cancels the size calculation.

If you want to manually trigger size calculation you can use the Get Sizes command as described...

Opus can already do this. See the FAQ:
[ul][li]Calculate folder sizes automatically -- How to turn it on or off[/li][/ul]