Folder Tree "CRASH" in Folder Path: Path (Basic) option!

Question: Is this a known bug or is this unique to my setup?
Opus crashes every time I click the if using the option!
After clicking this... a lot of random gibberish text cycles to the left of the folder path, then Opus displays a crash message with an option to close thread!

Can this be remedied?

Thanks,
Kurt

I can't reproduce any problem like that, although from your description I'm not sure exactly what/where to try clicking.

The problem could be a shell extension, since they'll be involved in enumerating the tree. Odd if it matters what kind of path field is used (but it's possible).

It may be worth trying the steps in this FAQ:

Crash, exit or high CPU usage when viewing certain directories

If that doesn't help, you might need to send a bug report to GPSoftware and make a crash-dump for them.

If you can give some more details or a screenshot or similar I'll try and reproduce it again on my computer.

Hi Leo, thanks for helping!

In the customize mode: the Location "File Path" and in the sub menu: select "Path (Basic)"
Now in normal operation the down arrow to the far right in the Folder Path window.
This is where I'm having the crash!
Sometimes it displays the tree, but only after restarting Opus after the crash.
It usually works ok for a while then it does it again after using Opus for a while.
It never does this in the breadcrumb mode!

When the path field is set to "Path (Basic)" there should not be a drop-down arrow in the field at all.

Can you post a screenshot of that?

I assume we're talking about the latest version of Opus (9.5.4.0). That's what I've tried with, though only the 64-bit version so far.

Yes the latest version!

I just noticed that it was set to folder tree but it still does it this way to.
The only difference is in basic I double click the folder icon to the left of the path.
Sorry to confuse!

No need to spen a lot of time on this. I will be fine with the breadcrumb option for now!
Thanks for the help!

If you turn on the main folder tree (View -> Folder Tree; nothing to do with the path field), does that trigger the same problem?

Every other folder tree in the system is ok, just the folder path is goofy in the basic modes!

When the location path field is set to basic mode - there is neither a drop down arrow to the right of the field, nor is there an icon to the left of the path... so aside from just wanting to be accurate about what you're doing for the purposes of trying the "right" combination of things to try and reproduce the problem - it could also be important to more accurately understand what you're actually doing in order to figure out if you're seeing something (other than the crash itself) that you shouldn't... For instance, if you've got a location field set to type:basic that includes an icon to the left of the path, then I'd say there is something "wrong" with that since there's not supposed to be an icon there.

From there, I'd say that "anything" you might do in terms of clicking around and interacting with such an apparently "wrong" piece of your toolbar could certainly result in unexpected behavior :slight_smile:.

I'm not sure what that really means, and don't know if it answers Leo's question. I think he was trying to have you check if having the Opus folder tree enabled (where your screenshot shows you did not have turned on) impacted the problem one way or another...

I know whatever you're doing probably seems very simple to you - but when looking at the comments in the thread there's room for doubt from a "readers" perspective about what you're actually doing, particularly with parts of what you're describing seeming to be not possible.

I'm curious whether or not having the other file display open to a "network path" might have something to do with the problem you're seeing, and whether or not some character in that network path might be related (i.e. looks like the other path is opened to a hidden/admin share with "$" char in the path...).

Yes, the raw hidden network share \isrv1\00$ is affecting this Field Type!
However, when the same share is mapped through a network drive it functions ok!

Current folder path settings: Customize>Location>Field Type>Path (Folder Tree)

With the raw hidden network share \isrv1\00$ in the lister window or in the folder path, I get the following error, but only in the Field Types without the Breadcrumb. (Note how the folder path has changed to the scrambled text!)

Without the hidden network share 00$ or mapping it through a network drive it functions ok!

Thanks for the extra info. (And to Steje for thinking of the right things to test!)

With those details I've been able to reproduce the problem and I've sent a bug report to GPSoftware.