Font Size / Zoom Level in Commander Layout

Hello, just wondering how to increase the magnification that things are listed at under the commander layout / details view. I am able to spread the lines out by increasing from 1 to 10 under settings > preferences > file display modes > details > extra line spacing

This does however not increase font size. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

Font sizes can be changed under Settings -> Preferences / Display / Colors and Fonts.

Thanks for the info, Leo. In my general usage of Opus I find that I often need to increase/decrease font sizes on the fly, as part of a frequent workflow. The preferences setting makes sense when one wants to change the font once in a while, but for frequent changes it would be much more convenient to have a way of changing the font size on the fly.

It would be very useful to have a hotkey pair that adjusts font size up and down. For instance, in Microsoft Word the Ctrl + [ and Ctrl + ] adjust font size, and in Indesign the Ctrl+Shift+< and Ctrl+Shift+> combos do it. Having a pair of hotkeys like these within Opus would be really, really convenient and helpful.

Also (as I mentioned in another thread) many programs support Ctrl+Mousewheel to adjust font size (e.g. voidtools's Everything). Would you consider adding this capability to Opus please?

Thanks,
Avi

Thanks Avi.

Also, the hotkey above is great. Can this hotkey be done in any of the customization options.

[quote="ashmid"]Thanks for the info, Leo. In my general usage of Opus I find that I often need to increase/decrease font sizes on the fly, as part of a frequent workflow. The preferences setting makes sense when one wants to change the font once in a while, but for frequent changes it would be much more convenient to have a way of changing the font size on the fly.

It would be very useful to have a hotkey pair that adjusts font size up and down. For instance, in Microsoft Word the Ctrl + [ and Ctrl + ] adjust font size, and in Indesign the Ctrl+Shift+< and Ctrl+Shift+> combos do it. Having a pair of hotkeys like these within Opus would be really, really convenient and helpful.

Also (as I mentioned in another thread) many programs support Ctrl+Mousewheel to adjust font size (e.g. voidtools's Everything). Would you consider adding this capability to Opus please?[/quote]

It seems more unusual to need to change font sizes on-the-fly in a file manager where you can choose the size of most elements (vs a web browser where different sites can use vastly different font sizes which you sometimes need to override), but it's something we'll we might do if a few more people ask.

[quote="Thomson"]Thanks Avi.

Also, the hotkey above is great. Can this hotkey be done in any of the customization options.[/quote]

See my first reply for where you go to change font sizes. The stuff about hotkeys is talking about other programs and a feature request, not applicable to Opus.

Hi Leo,

You indicated that it seems unusual to need to change font sizes on-the-fly in a file manager. I'll give you two very real use cases:

1] In most directories I have normal-sized filenames (10-20 chars), but in some directories I have lots of very long filenames (40-50 chars). In general I like to have the fonts nice and big and easily readable, but when moving to a directory with long filenames, I'd like to reduce the font size, so that I can see the longer filenames.

2] Sometimes I'm looking at a filename which includes some odd characters, and I'm not quite sure what they are (is it a quotation mark? is it two apostrophes? Is it a backtik?) In these cases I'd like to quickly magnify the display to 200% or 300% to get a real good look at what that filename is. Right now, whenever this occurs, I have to copy the filename to the clipboard, paste it into word, and then enlarge the font - a convoluted workflow, to say the least.

Overall, users have to choose the font size in order to balance the amount of information shown (the smaller the font, the more info), and readability (the larger the font, the more readability). If users must choose one font size for general operation, they'll find a sweet spot somewhere in the middle, but necessarily sacrificing something on either end. It is this issue that makes me believe that dynamic font-size-changing is not a specialty need, but rather something that would be appreciated by all users. It would allow all users to increase readability and/or to increase the amount information shown as needed, instead of resigning to a single balance somewhere in the middle.

You indicated that you'd consider implementing this feature if there are more requests. So, if any other users out there agree with the usefulness of this feature, please do write in to the thread and indicate your interest! (From the posts above, it seems that Thomson is interested in this as well; is that correct Thomson?)

I would use it for similar reasons as ashmid, +1.

yes, I think it would be quite useful for my work flow.