Go to parent folder in Lister by Enter/click on ".." item

Is there any way to add ".." item in Lister and when we click/Enter it, it will go back to parent folder?
This ".." thingy is available in other commander (frigate,speed comm.,etc), and even classic commander (norton commander, midnight commander,etc) and already get used to it, because it simple (without pressing Backspace key to go to the parent folder).

Nope.

will there be a plugin or update that able to add it?please??

See the FAQ answer: [Can I add a '..' item to go to the parent directory?)

I think if you are a keyboard user to navigate (which I am),
best and easiest is to use Left-arrow to to navigate to parent directory.
So where you could go in and out of a directory by just 1 keypress (Enter) in other Commanders, in DO you have to use 2 keys.

yes i am a keyboard user, because i'm a developer and most of time spends using keyboard. i need that thingy that can fasten file operation, enter key is simply closer to the arrow key than backspace key.

You can also use the Esc, Tab or Enter keys as one of your own Hotkey combinations (Help -> Keyboard Map). Select these from the pop down menu at the end of the Hotkey fields:

Well, if DO used .. (parent) in the top of panels, then the Enter-key could have 2 functions. ...In and Out of the Directory.

I don't think you can do it with the ENTER key however you can set up other key combinations to go in or out of a directory.

For example you could use

SHIFT+BACKSPACE to go into the selected folder
And just BACKSPACE to go back out again.

[quote="JohnZeman"]I don't think you can do it with the ENTER key however you can set up other key combinations to go in or out of a directory.

For example you could use

SHIFT+BACKSPACE to go into the selected folder
And just BACKSPACE to go back out again.[/quote]

I think point is that navigation should be as simple as it could be. With as little keypresses as possible. And preferably with 1 hand.
For that I miss '..' really.
But..hey...I am an old rusty Commander-user for 25-years.

[quote="razoon"]
I think point is that navigation should be as simple as it could be. With as little keypresses as possible. [/quote]

That's true. But why is the '..' easier than Backspace? Using '..' means you first have to navigate to it by either pressing UP which may takes some time depending on the number of files and your current position or hitting Home and then Enter to go up. Backspace you can use everywhere.

Is your hand so small you cannot reach the the Backspace which is just above Enter :wink:

[quote="razoon"]
For that I miss '..' really.[/quote]

I didn't liked it because it just takes up room for a real file/foler to display,

But all said is just my opinion and there are many programs using '..' so eveybody can find the best explorer replacement for himself.

[quote="xbprm"][quote="razoon"]
I think point is that navigation should be as simple as it could be. With as little keypresses as possible. [/quote]

That's true. But why is the '..' easier than Backspace? Using '..' means you first have to navigate to it by either pressing UP which may takes some time depending on the number of files and your current position or hitting Home and then Enter to go up. Backspace you can use everywhere.

Is your hand so small you cannot reach the the Backspace which is just above Enter :wink:

[quote="razoon"]
For that I miss '..' really.[/quote]

I didn't liked it because it just takes up room for a real file/foler to display,

But all said is just my opinion and there are many programs using '..' so eveybody can find the best explorer replacement for himself.[/quote]

I navigate using mouse or keyboard. When I feel my RSI is popping up, then I use my numeric keypad at the right to navigate. Navigate with keypad is way faster than with mouse btw.

So my hand rest at the right side of the numeric keypad. Very relaxed :slight_smile:

I navigate to '..' (top of panel) by pressing Home-key (numeric keypad). Followed by Enter (numeric keypad) to get in.
When I wanna go down to the bottom of the panel , then I press End-key (numeric keypad) with my thumb.
So more or less my fingers rest above the numeric keypad.
That way Im really fast in navigation with just that hand.

You could bind one of the unused numpad keys as a parent button.

e.g. / * - + 0 or .

Ahh ... numpad user! That explains much.

Never used it except with NumLock on for faster entering of numbers and will never use it as I have to work very often on my laptop.

In case you hadn't noticed, Opus lets you assign almost any key to any function. You could set your whole numpad to do parent if that's what you want.

[quote="leo"]You could bind one of the unused numpad keys as a parent button.

e.g. / * - + 0 or .[/quote]

I use numpad left arrow to navigate to parent. Its ok, just have to get used to it.

i guess, still, there is should be and must be an option to show ".." or not. its the matter of usability, not just the UI that takes up space to show the files, folders. let the user choose which one is preferable, not just by giving the FAQ and keep telling to assign shortcut key.

Well, for my opinion after trying this file manager, this file manager is best for common end user, but not for programmer or keyboard user, like admin or kinda like linux user that also frequent using Windows, especially who used to text mode, who needs the m.o.s.t interactive accessbility with keyboard.

Common user might gonna like this, but not programmer like me. Lacking of many things, like built in editor/viewer like in NC/MC with syntax highlighting (Hey! even the blue-screen-text-mode-commander have the syntax highlighting editor, but millenium windowed commander doesnt have it?? hello?). most of the file is text file and every each file is binary file that can be view as text file, not only need viewer but also text editor.

i prefer using an open source commander without text editor than buying a pricely commander without text editor.

mm... for me.... opus is not the real commander, its just an Explorer that is trying to Mimic the real commander by giving choices for assigning shortcut key/button and customizable scripting.. :smiley:

Sorry i dont intend to offence or sort of like that, but for me, it is just not enough, sometimes, people is asking for simple things and fast, not something complex but not be able to do simple things that are considered like obsolete things.

Nobody forces you to use DOpus if you don't like it. So, please stop lamenting about DOpus and "missing" features. Go ahead and use your "real commander".

The decision to not use ".." in DOpus was made by GPSoft and it is their every right.

I think hikaru is just trying to help to make DO even better as it is :slight_smile:
Cus he has a point in DO missing out some very simple and fastnavigating features like ".." and like a simple hotkey to make a selection and thereby advances to the next line.
The selection system is a bit complex imo, for fast keyboard users at least.
I hope that these features will be added one day :slight_smile: