Help creating a dialog input, please

I've been using DOpus for many years across multiple platforms and I'm sure I've done what I'm trying to achieve some time in the dim and distant past. Having said that I think I'm just getting old and I've forgotten more than I now know. :wink:

I need to create either: A button that will pop a text input into which I can paste/type a string which will on OK populates the active lister with a folder. Or a text input directly within the interface that does the same.

I have a folder with many many numbered sub folders. Each of which contain similarly named files.

These folders are created by my company's client management system using the primary key number. Said system has a built in archive system which renames files maintaining the link between the system and the file. This of course fails if the file is open elsewhere.

When an archive request is sent, I will use the system to perform the archive, however it will not report failures. This I check manually by navigating to the folder via a "go [folder with all the folders in]" then paste the number into the path.

Any pointers on getting this working would be highly appreciated...

Can't you use the normal Location field at the top of the window to do that?

Can I permanently pre- populate a location bar with the common path?

Still not totally sure of the details of your circumstance, so let me write out some assumptions on my part:

[ul][li]You always have a static path to the main "[folder with all the folders in]"[/li]
[li]Through some other part of your work flow, you've either copied the number/name of the specific client folder to the clipboard, or you'll type it in to some text box (with the specific client folder being the "primary key number" generated by your company's client management system)[/li][/ul]
So, pretending (as an example) that the "[folder with all the folders in]" is "D:\my\temp\test", here are two ideas for buttons you can paste directly to your toolbar:

If you don't care about actually seeing the full path to the main client folder in the text popup:

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" separate="yes" textcol="none"> <label>Goto Client Folder</label> <icon1>#pathfield</icon1> <function type="batch"> <instruction>@nofilenamequoting</instruction> <instruction>Go &quot;D:\my\temp\test\{RS|Enter client folder number to open:|{clip}}&quot; NEWTAB</instruction> </function> </button>
If you DO want to actually see the full path to the main client folder in the text popup (sometimes ppl feel better if they see the whole thing :question: ):

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" separate="yes" textcol="none"> <label>Goto Client Folder</label> <icon1>#pathfield</icon1> <function type="batch"> <instruction>@nofilenamequoting</instruction> <instruction>Go &quot;{RS|Enter client folder number to open:|D:\my\temp\test\{clip}}&quot; NEWTAB</instruction> </function> </button>

If you are copying the "primary key number" from a field in some application or something, then one of the methods above are probably fine (and more or less what you asked for). Though, if you're always CERTAIN that whatever you've got in the clipboard is the valid number of the client folder you want to jump to, you could modify the button(s) above so that it just takes you there withOUT the dialog prompt. The dialog can still be useful even then though, in the case you might want to go to similarly named folders in series (i.e. maybe you need to check up on client 00001, then 00002, then 00003 and so on) where with the dialog you could just backspace over the last digit and manually type in the new ending digit... freeing you from having to go fetch whatever the next client number is from wherever it is that you're getting it.

But also, if you're copying that number from some other file (wasn't sure about the relationship between the folder name possibly to 'other' files I thought you were hinting at), there might be a way to streamline this even more... where are you getting that "primary key number" from to copy it into your clipboard?

[quote="steje"]Still not totally sure of the details of your circumstance, so let me write out some assumptions on my part:

[ul][li]You always have a static path to the main "[folder with all the folders in]"[/li]
[li]Through some other part of your work flow, you've either copied the number/name of the specific client folder to the clipboard, or you'll type it in to some text box (with the specific client folder being the "primary key number" generated by your company's client management system)[/li][/ul]
So, pretending (as an example) that the "[folder with all the folders in]" is "D:\my\temp\test", here are two ideas for buttons you can paste directly to your toolbar:

If you don't care about actually seeing the full path to the main client folder in the text popup:

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" separate="yes" textcol="none"> <label>Goto Client Folder</label> <icon1>#pathfield</icon1> <function type="batch"> <instruction>@nofilenamequoting</instruction> <instruction>Go &quot;D:\my\temp\test\{RS|Enter client folder number to open:|{clip}}&quot; NEWTAB</instruction> </function> </button>
If you DO want to actually see the full path to the main client folder in the text popup (sometimes ppl feel better if they see the whole thing :question: ):

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" separate="yes" textcol="none"> <label>Goto Client Folder</label> <icon1>#pathfield</icon1> <function type="batch"> <instruction>@nofilenamequoting</instruction> <instruction>Go &quot;{RS|Enter client folder number to open:|D:\my\temp\test\{clip}}&quot; NEWTAB</instruction> </function> </button>

If you are copying the "primary key number" from a field in some application or something, then one of the methods above are probably fine (and more or less what you asked for). Though, if you're always CERTAIN that whatever you've got in the clipboard is the valid number of the client folder you want to jump to, you could modify the button(s) above so that it just takes you there withOUT the dialog prompt. The dialog can still be useful even then though, in the case you might want to go to similarly named folders in series (i.e. maybe you need to check up on client 00001, then 00002, then 00003 and so on) where with the dialog you could just backspace over the last digit and manually type in the new ending digit... freeing you from having to go fetch whatever the next client number is from wherever it is that you're getting it.

But also, if you're copying that number from some other file (wasn't sure about the relationship between the folder name possibly to 'other' files I thought you were hinting at), there might be a way to streamline this even more... where are you getting that "primary key number" from to copy it into your clipboard?[/quote]

Sir, your example code once modified for my network works flawlessly. My thanks

As I can't find a way to edit my previous post, apologies for doubling. I showed the examples to my colleague, and realized looking at the code that we could simple have the button take us "blindly" to the clipboard text, which w(sh)ould always be correct. Once again, thank you for your wonderful solution and speedy reply.

Certainly, however with that being the case (being ok to go 'blindly' to the path based on clipboard) - it's also worth asking again exactly how/where you're getting the "primary key number" into the clipboard in the first place, is it coming from some other file or from an application? If from some other file or folder name, then there are ways to make it even easier.

It's copied from a purpose created text box in our software...

Ah, ok - figured it could have been something like that. In that case, the only thing you might be able to do to make it even quicker is to use something like auto-hotkey to copy the text from that field for you then auto-launch Opus to the folder. Shout if you're interested, but I expect you're probably fine with what you've got so far :slight_smile:.

I do have another one, although this is possibly slightly more complex. I I said I work in the IT dept of a Legal company, and as such am required to pull recordings of incoming outgoing calls. We use orcaweb, which although old is functional and effective. One issue we do have i;s because for security reasons be shun IE we cannot easily (without drilling down into the folder structure[with Dopus of course) retrieve the recordings.

Is it possible within Dopus to use "javascript:play('http://RECORDER:8080//2014/01/23/13/20140123_131418_EIL.wav')" from the clipboard and then strip the file path which I can then add the mapped drive letter to and present this as a find result? Again as a button as with the last, most excellent solution?

Would you be interested in something that:

• checked your clipboard string and looked for known prefix paths and file extensions (http's and .wav's - etc)
  • mapped the Call Record URL to a known folder path where the same file should be found
  • checks for the existence of the actual file at the mapped path
  • add it to an Opus file collection with a name of your choosing and open the file collection in a lister tab

If that sounds interesting, while this is similar in nature to your first... I'd go ahead and start another topic and I'll work on it :slight_smile:.

Also, are you a registered Pro user planning on going to Opus v11 when it's released? There are probably simpler ways of doing what you want, but the solution I'd be interested in working out would best be done via a script command compatible with Opus v11 - currently in Beta status. And while I don't know what new feature differences GPSoft might decide on between Light and Pro editions (or if we'll even still have Light and Pro 'editions' at all in v11), I wouldn't be surprised if the new scripting features I would use to give you a solution would be a Pro only feature. But that's just guesswork on my part...

How about I describe my current process...
Email comes in containing a call recording request. I use my browser to search for the call and then read the URL from the status bar of my browser by hovering the defunct play button on the results page. :confused: Then I go to the mapped network drive and browse to the folder containing possibly hundreds of uniquely named files. Each is timestamped and appended with the 3 letters you see in the example. I them use Ctrl-F to search for that three letter appendum.

I'd love to simply copy the URL to the clipboard and then click a button, similar to the last solution and have the file presented in a "find results" like manner.

I am interested in upgrading to Directory Opus 11 on release, both at home and at work. Pending budget approval...

Again, your help is greatly appreciated.

mods, if it isn't too much trouble please move my last reply to a new topic. subject: more clipboard automation. thanks

I think it make sense to keep it here as it relies a lot on the context of the previous posts in the thread.

Ok Leo. Sorry karmacopper, I steered you wrong :wink:.

@karmacopper:
My thought was to future proof this a bit in case something in the way that link to the audio file is generated ever changes (i.e. your app is updated to point to an https link, or an ftp link, or some other string after the protocol prefix, or on the other end of the string, if your company switches to some other audio format for capacity savings reasons - like mp3 instead of wav).

That said, can you confirm what the regular filesystem path to the file would be in your environment for the example URL/URI you provide?

"javascript:play('http://RECORDER:8080//2014/01/23/13/20140123_131418_EIL.wav')"

[quote="steje"]Ok Leo. Sorry karmacopper, I steered you wrong :wink:.

@karmacopper:
My thought was to future proof this a bit in case something in the way that link to the audio file is generated ever changes (i.e. your app is updated to point to an https link, or an ftp link, or some other string after the protocol prefix, or on the other end of the string, if your company switches to some other audio format for capacity savings reasons - like mp3 instead of wav).

That said, can you confirm what the regular filesystem path to the file would be in your environment for the example URL/URI you provide?

"javascript:play('http://RECORDER:8080//2014/01/23/13/20140123_131418_EIL.wav')"

@leo Good call mate @steje don't sweat it :smiley:

Thay URIL would become:

w:\2014\01\23\13\20140123_131418_EIL.wav

As for future proofing, it's a valid concern. However I don't see at least for a couple of years that we'll change the current system.

I have now updated to DO 11. I feel this should make my request easier, hopefully.