Help is stealing focus

The help-window stealing focus is a problem here too. I now make use of the online manual as well.
But obviously it is not possible to get contextual help this way, which is very handy at times (i mean clicking the little question mark embedded directly in some windows top right). So I wouldn't mind if these contextual help buttons would link to the online manual as well, having a single point of documentation is surely not a bad thing either?

Yes this one is really annoying. Not only the help-window is stealing focus but also in customize mode the customize window. When editing a button no matter what its always on top level. Even if the screensaver starts its still above the screensaver LOL. Right after installing 11.2 it seemed like it the problem was gone but then it reappeared. Also in 11.3 stil the same.

I believe this is by design, the customise window needs to be on top so as to allow easier editing of toolbars and menus. I don't see this as a problem as you don't use the customise window that often. The help window I suspect is something that could be improved.

Well how else do you edit or add buttons and toolbars without the customize window? by magic? So customize window is used pretty often here. And when I'm editing buttons I often want to look things up on the opus site and having them on top of the browser is annoying. And also customize window being even above the screensaver is just beyond logic.

I'll add my vote to the help screen and the customise window not stealing the focus. I've also found them difficult to handle. I want to be able to use Alt+Tab in the usual way to switch between them rather than having them pooping up and/or on top.

+1

Regards, AB

Well how else do you edit or add buttons and toolbars without the customize window? by magic? So customize window is used pretty often here. And when I'm editing buttons I often want to look things up on the opus site and having them on top of the browser is annoying. And also customize window being even above the screensaver is just beyond logic.[/quote]
Yes I use Magic to do all my customisations. The customisation window sitting on top of dopus (It does not sit on top of a browser, the screensave or any other window for me) is a different issue as this is by design an not a bug. If this is something you would like changed may I suggest that you start a different topic so we can discuss it without sealing focus (see what I did there) from thread topic. As a temp fix, remember you can minimise the customisations window so it wont be getting in the way of other nonDopus if you have that issue.

The thread topic raises a specific issue, where after the help is moved behind a dopus it comes back on top after specific actions. I don't think that is by design.

So its stealing the focus or not for you? I didn't get the writing the not part and afterwards complaining about having them on top.

@aussieboy Don't be childish and half quoting Jualianon's sentence. If you don't use a feature that often then it doesn't mean nobody uses some feature often.

@wowbagger. I'll do just that. How about specifying your magic lol?

The Help issue is a bug (imo) whereas the customise window behaviour is by design. If it is a bug, then the former is likely to be fixed. The latter may be changed, or made optional, if a sufficient number of users call it out as an issue and the developers consider it important enough to make the short list.

Regards, AB

Well its still immature to half quote to just favour your opinion. And also you should read better my post. As I said that for me the when editing buttons the window was on top level. Top level means above any window e.g browser etc. Customize window being on top of opus lister is straightforward and logical. That was not what I was complaining about.

Anyway. wowbagger says for him its not on top of his browser so I don't think it's by design as you were indicating.

Click the icon in the top-left corner of the Customize dialog, and use the Keep On Top menu to change its top-level status. Command editors are on top by design.

Possibly you should proofread better your post?

Possibly you should just stay out of this?

Please be nice to each other, everyone.

There are much better people to argue with out there on the Internet than fellow Opus users. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Bringing this back on topic, Leo, could you please comment on the original post relating to the help window stealing focus. It sounds like a bug, IMO.

I looked at this a long time ago and remember there being a reason for it, but I've forgotten the details, to be honest. It's unlikely to change, after 13 years, but we may review it again when we get a chance. There's a lot of high priority stuff to do first, though.

Unless I simply never noticed it before (unlikely, but not impossible) the issue with Help jumping in front of other windows when triggered by a Copy command is a recent phenomenon. I believe it started at some point in the chain of pre-release Opus 11 betas.

Regards, AB

I just checked in a virtual machine. It was introduced in 11.0.9. Earlier 11.0.x betas did not have the problem.

Regards, AB

Yes, sorry, I was confusing that change with the help being on top generally. It's as per my reply in the thread that was linked near the start of this thread. Nothing new to say as we have not looked at it further yet.

Looks like DOpus11.7.1 (beta) has a fix for this.