Help needed for creating a special copy-create folder button

Hello,

I would like to create a button who does the following very special action:

I select one folder manually first, then the action:

copy the name of the selected folder, add to the end of the name 3 spaces and an arbitrary character e.g. "§", create a new folder with this new name, place the new folder under the original folder and make that folder a hidden folder.

Is there someone out there who can help me with this very special button? Since I am a beginner in DO I dond have all the knowledge to create something like this. Mayby its not even possible - mayby only by scripting then? Hm....

Any help is very much apprichiated.

TIA

dp_fan

Will the character that gets added always be the same or do you need it to be randomly chosen, or chosen so that it's unique in the directory?

it will allways be the same e.g. "§".

I might also add and make more clear:

the folder that should be hidden is the NEWLY ONE created not the original folder - sorry, english is not my mother toung.

Thanks for your help!

dp_fan

Here you go:

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none"> <label>Create Special Folder</label> <tip>See https://resource.dopus.com/t/help-needed-for-creating-a-special-copy-create-folder-button/3881/1 <icon1>#makedir</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>@dironly</instruction> <instruction>@nofilenamequoting</instruction> <instruction>CreateFolder NAME &quot;{filepath$}\{file$|noterm} §&quot;</instruction> <instruction>SetAttr FILE &quot;{filepath$}\{file$|noterm} §&quot; SETATTR H</instruction> </function> </button>

See here if you don't know what to do with the above code block.

Great,

I am at work now - it will have to wait until this night.

I also have experienced a liitle bit more. But still run into some questions which I cant find an answer to them.

Would this be the place here to ask for help too?

dp_fan

Of course, ask away. :slight_smile:

If the other questions aren't related to the existing thread then please start a new thread for each one so that other people can find answers more easily.

Hello,

well I have tried the button - it does not work :cry:

The button actually does nothing.
I will include here my button version, but this does not handle the automatic naming with "path" - version.
I have first to copy the folder name into the clipboard and the go to the root folder and then hit the button. The new folder will be created and will have a "§" sign as well as beeing hidden.

So I am still looking for the right way....

dp_fan

My button requires that you select the folder in which you want the new, hidden folder to be created.

i.e. You're in the parent and have selected the folder that you want to create something inside.

Did you want it to work in a different way?

Hm,

I guess I have explained this in a bad kind of english....

O.k. here it goes again.

I have the following:

Drive D:
Rootfolder

a
---aa
---ab
---ac
c
d
e

Now I would like to go to the child folder by the name "ab", select the folder,
create a new folder by the name "ab §" and the new folder should be placed DIRECTLY under the "ab" folder with the new name "ab $" and should be hidden.

this way:

Drive D:
Rootfolder

a
---aa
---ab
---ab § (and hidden)
---ac
b
c
d

I hope this explains it better

dp_fan

In that case you want this:

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none"> <label>Create Special Folder</label> <tip>See https://resource.dopus.com/t/help-needed-for-creating-a-special-copy-create-folder-button/3881/1 <icon1>#makedir</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>@dironly</instruction> <instruction>@nofilenamequoting</instruction> <instruction>CreateFolder NAME &quot;{filepath$|noterm} §&quot;</instruction> <instruction>SetAttr FILE &quot;{filepath$|noterm} §&quot; SETATTR H</instruction> </function> </button>

Hi something funny must be going on...

both of the two buttons do not work. They do actually nothing at all.
I did follow the link on how to implement the xml code and I see the buttons. Or I do not get it, how these buttons of yours are working. But no folder gets created , no error message -just nothing happens.

I use DO German Vers 9.0.0.3 and Vers 9.0.0.4 (60 day trial version) on two computers.
One has installled Windows 2000 Prof. (engl) and the second is an Windows XP Prof SP2 (germ).

There is one difference I have noticed between the first and the second button from you:
the second button has a "+" missing in the last line (where the hidden action is beeing activated).

Are you able to import my button and run this on your computer? Can you test it, please. You need to copy the name into the clipboard first -then it works at least here.

I will be gone on a short 2 day trip starting Sunday - after that I will install DO again, mayby there has been a missmatch or whatever. Or the english version differs to the german version and both versions are incompatible.

dp_fan

I try to include a screen shot to explain this again:

the first picture is what I want to create

Here is what happens for me:

nudel.dopus.com/posts/createspec.swf

Ignore the +H vs H thing. The + was a mistake in my original button and should not have been there, although having it there did no harm.

If you edit my button after pasting it, does the § character appear correctly? I would have expected Opus to escape that high-ascii character but it's sending it as-is, so maybe it gets mangled with certain locales?

Also, you're not doing something silly and hiding hidden folders, are you? Is the button creating folders that you just can't see?

Hi Nudel,

I have placed a request for support in the German forum today.

I have been spending hours now to find a way that this button runs on my system- no luck. Even at work with the Windows 2000 Prof (engl).

So I hope to get some feedback from some German users. If they can make your button work like the little show you uploaded, then I have some trouble with my DO preferences or whatever. Or there is something I dond know about.
Yes, I did check that the "§" is copied o.k.
Yes, I did check, that hidden folders are beeing displayed.

I get back to you as soon as I have more information.

Thanks for the time and effort you put into this so far !!!!!

dp_fan