How do I see file extentions?

I want to see the file extentions, but I can't get it to work.

www.nelsonguirado.com

Sorry for bad spelling.

www.nelsonguirado.com

You must have turned on Hide file extension in Filename column in Tools -> Folder Options and/or Settings -> Preferences / Folder Formats.

See the Folder Formats FAQ if you can't work out how to change it back for all folders.

You can also add an Extension column if you want the extension to be separate from the filename column. You do that via the same places mentioned above.

(If you just want the ability to sort by extension you don't need to put it into a separate column; instead, shift-click the filename column when it's in the normal mode of showing extensions.)

I changed it via MS explorer. The reason I wanted to see them was to make it easier to chnage them.

If you have enabled the option to Hide file extension in the name column, pressing Ctrl + e will allow you to edit the hidden file extension, while renaming a file from the Name column.

I may be wrong but I don't think the "hiden extensions for known types" option in Explorer has any effect on Opus, except in special views like My Computer and Desktop which are provided by Explorer.

I just saved a bunch of files from my C drive to a CD-R, and was viewing the list of saved files in Directory Opus (to double-check & make sure I had saved the correct files).

I noticed that the file extensions are not shown as part of the name for files listed on the CD drive.

File extensions are present & displayed for the same files in their original location.

These files are all similarly named, but they have different extensions because they are versions of the same graphics file converted to different formats.

I like to see (and rely on) the file extension rather use the File Type column because the File Type associations often change depending on what software has most recently been installed. (Way too many programs are written in such a way that the installation will change file types so that they are associated with the new program.)

Any tips on fixing this?

Read FAQ - HOW TO: Understand and Configure Folder Formats

NOTE: CD and DVD drives use the Custom Default Format. Local drives use the Local Drive Default Format.

Also, if it's a writeable CD and you have XP's CD-writing system and display enabled in Opus (bottom checkboxes in Prefs - Misc. - Windows Integration) then Explorer may be handling the display for that directory and the extensions are controlled by the option in Explorer.