How to copy files names without extend name?

Has any way reach it:?:

See here:

[Commands to copy selected filenames to the clipboard)

[ul][li]If you mean you just want the file names (no paths) then use:

Edit -> Copy Filenames -> As Names Only

Or you can use this command:

Clipboard COPYNAMES=nopaths
[/li]
[li]If you meant you want the short file paths (8.3 names) then use this command:

Clipboard COPYNAMES=short

You can also combine the two, to get just the short (8.3) filenames without any paths:

Clipboard COPYNAMES=short,nopaths
[/li]
[li]If you want the names to be on a single line, instead of one line per name, then add single. For example:

Clipboard COPYNAMES=short,nopaths,single[/li][/ul]

I'm happy the topic has just started, as I was fiddling around with it today. I like posting the server link to some file or folder to my colleagues in the Outlook message rather than including the entire file which would hog the inboxes. For that purpose I added an

The thing is that the links won't work just by clicking at them unless you quote them by the parentheses. In case where you have the blank characters of course. So, the solution is either to use the URL argument, replace the blanks by %20 or to place the filename between the parentheses. I would like the latter as it would be most human readable.

I used: Clipboard COPYNAMES=unc {F!}

So, how do I make the filenames enclosed by the parentheses? I guess it has something to do with the REGEXP argument, but DOpus renaming syntaxes were never clear to me apart from using my own rename VB-like code.

This command will put the UNC paths in parentheses:

Clipboard COPYNAMES=unc REGEXP (.*) (\1)

This one will put the UNC paths in quotes:

Clipboard COPYNAMES=unc REGEXP (.*) ""\1""

This one will replace spaces with %20, although the results are not valid UNC paths so it will only be useful if the mail client converts the %20 sequences itself:

Clipboard COPYNAMES=unc REGEXP "(.) (.)#" \1%20\2

Thanks Leo. :smiley: BTW, do you ever sleep? Your answers are always very quick.

But, back to the subject. I just saw that I misused parentheses for quotes. What I really meant was the quotes, not parentheses. Outlook will not offer a link inside the parentheses, but will do for the quotes. You have obviously predicted that and answered in advance. :slight_smile:

OTOH, I think it's interesting to notice another one. I would never get anywhere as I kept putting {F!} argument before REGEXP, like this: Clipboard COPYNAMES=unc {F!} REGEXP (.*) ""\1"". So, the full working sentence looks like this: Clipboard COPYNAMES=unc REGEXP (.*) ""\1"" {F!}.

A nice addition to standard context menu for everyday office job.

What's the {F!} for in that command? I don't think it's needed or does anything in this context.

I try to avoid sleep where possible. :slight_smile:

I just want copy the file names (no paths, no extension name).

Anyway, thanks

This will do that:

Clipboard COPYNAMES=nopaths REGEXP (.).[^.] \1

If you just want to copy the filenames themselves, with no paths, the command is:

Clipboard COPYNAMES=nopaths

If you want to remove the extensions as well, the command would be:

Clipboard COPYNAMES=nopaths REGEXP (.).(.) \1

I didn't know that but I can see it now. It is obvious that it is implicitly parsed as F!. For example if I put O! at the end I get a plain filename in the beginning and then the location in the next line. Can you shed some more light on that?

The Clipboard COPYNAMES command automatically uses all selected files in the Lister - you don't need to pass filenames to it (which is effectively what you're doing with {F} or {O})

Contrast with, as an example, Clipboard SET. This simply takes a string parameter - it doesn't natively use selected files from the Lister. So if you wanted to use Clipboard SET to a similar thing to COPYNAMES you would use something like Clipboard SET {O}

Thanks Jon for comprehensive answer. :smiley: