How to customize and save a default layout

My reply above has a step-by-step guide.

I went through the whole procedure in the folder formats: quick guide, as you suggested. It still doesn't work although the codec column did not reappear (which is what I wanted). The size keeps shifting back to what it was before I made the changes.

The size of what?

If you mean the size of the columns, you need to turn off the Auto-size option on the Display tab in the Folder Options dialog.

See gpsoft.com.au/help/opus10/de ... ptions.htm for more information.

i unchecked the auto-size option. This did not help. The columns still resized when i relaunched Opus.
please advise.

If you make any changes you have to save them if you want them to become the defaults.

In other words, refer back to the Folder Formats: Quick Guide and re-do #1 and #4.

I have made a good attempt at this.
It appears that I am not capable of understanding how to get this done.
Thank you for trying to help me.

I have made a good attempt at this.
It appears that I am not capable of understanding how to get this done.
Thank you for trying to help me.

Another user has recently had similar difficulty with getting this sort of thing worked out to his satisfaction... going to refer them here to your thread and ask you both to report back in your own topics with screenshots of your own settings from the following 5 pages in Preferences:

It still doesn't work for me.
I adjust the size with my mouse. (Is there more to do with this to let OPUS know the new size?) How is one supposed to know?
How may I make Opus recall the size (width) of the fields in the lister layout?
I would love to use this product more. I understand that there is a great deal of functionality that might be useful to me, but I cannot understand all the menus, boxes to be checked, unchecked, saved, applied, .... The user interface is just too complicated for me, and there is no easy step-by-step explanation about how to do something that ought to be very simple, as it is in Windows Explorer (which took less than 3 minutes to figure out for default folder layout-- I already have about 3 hours in this and I am nowhere).

If you're responding to my last post - then I don't really understand why you would even say "It still doesn't work for me"... since I didn't suggest you actually change anything, just asked for you to post screenshots of your own current settings. Why not post your own settings from the Prefs pages that I asked you to post and we can help from there?

In addition to posting your own screenshots, I'd also ask you to post screenshots of how you setup the lister to look the way you want it - and then another screenshot of the lister showing what happens and what is NOT to your liking when you launch Opus again (along with confirmation of exactly how you're launching Opus - i.e. double-click on desktop, shortcut on desktop, tray icon, etc - since launching Opus in different ways can be configured to have a different result).

Let's be specific... if you don't know what one of our questions mean exactly - ask us to clarify instead of spending alot of time trying to figure it out on your own and just getting frustrated. We can help... but need our exact questions answered instead of partially answering in the middle of re-asking the same questions about how to fix it. We have to learn what's wrong to know the right things to tell you to change. Screenshots are our friend...

It may be a "sucking eggs" suggestion, but I often see messages from people who say that they do not know how to create screenshots.

The easiest way to do this is to get the window you want to grab in the foreground, press "Alt+Print Screen", then go into DOpus and "right click" "paste".

Then give the file an appropriate name and upload it here.

Another too that you can use is the "Snipping Tool" that comes with Windows. That also has a "window grab" mode.

Like I said, possibly a lesson in egg sucking but it is surprising how many people have not stumbled upon "Alt+Print Screen".

Here is how my layout comes up: x2
Here is how I would like it to look every time: X1 How to set the options so that this happens

We've told you how to set the options so that this happens.
Turn off the auto-size option in Folder Options, then follow the steps in the FAQ that Leo linked.

If this doesn't work for you, instead of just endlessly repeating that it doesn't work, explain what you actually tried.

I did turn off the auto-size option in Folder Options. and hit Apply/OK and then save for all folders.
It does not stay off.
When I relaunch Opus it is on again.
please advise.

You didn't post any of the other screenshots showing your Prefs setting either, or answered the question about "how you're launching Opus - i.e. double-click on desktop, shortcut on desktop, tray icon, etc - since launching Opus in different ways can be configured to have a different result".

I am double clicking the desktop.
All I want is this simple folder view to show with the size correct and for all folders.

[quote="larryparks2"]I did turn off the auto-size option in Folder Options. and hit Apply/OK and then save for all folders.
It does not stay off.
When I relaunch Opus it is on again.
please advise.[/quote]

Unless you are using Opus Light (and I don't think you are if you are launching Opus by double-clicking the desktop) you need to use "For All Folders + Layouts & Folder Tabs" instead of "For All Folders" (step 1 in the guide).

You may also need to update each of the Default formats (step 4 in the guide).

Please post the screenshots Steje asked for. It only takes a moment and they may be important. If you need help with how to post a screenshot, just ask.

You have me thoroughly confused.
"Unless you are using Opus Light (and I don't think you are if you are launching Opus by double-clicking the desktop) you need to use "For All Folders + Layouts & Folder Tabs" instead of "For All Folders" (step 1 in the guide).

You may also need to update each of the Default formats (step 4 in the guide)."
I have Opus 10.
Where is "For All Folders ....?"
"the guide?" which is that.
It's not clear to me EXACTLY what screenshots you want me to send you, which is why I have not sent them.

He is probably referring to the place that several people have suggested you read in the QuickGuide (see link above).